Here's a shot from last year's April Garden Bloggers Bloom Day post of that same bed.
I don't know what happened. I've grown Daffodils in the past, from an unnamed pack of yellow ones, that have increased delightfully every year into big full naturalized clumps. I expected my 'British Gamble' to do the same. Do fancy pink Daffs act like fancy tulips, and decrease in vitality every year?
At any rate, I decided since they made such a poor showing in the bed, they might look better altogether in a vase. Plus, we were slated to get some pretty nasty weather on Saturday and Sunday, which meant these already beat up and tossed around blooms would get even more battered if left out. So on Friday I cut them all, every one, and turned them into my IaVoM bouquet.
|I kept last week's bluish eucalyptus foliage
Most of the blooms had been bent to the soil by our heavy rain and were spattered with dirt. I gave them all a good shake (in one case I managed to fling a slug off his meal into the grass) and took them inside, where I tried further rinsing them off in the kitchen sink.
|Dirty and slug-chewed
|Only one relatively pristine flower
They sat that way for most of the weekend, until Sunday afternoon rolled around, and I thought the arrangement looked a bit sparse. So I ran out into the monsoon and quickly cut some Brunnera flowers to beef things up.
|Here's a closeup of the vase
I'm not sure what the deal is with my 'British Gamble' Daffs. Maybe this fall I'll just pick up a big bag of yellow ones and try those.
Cathy at Rambling in the Garden hosts In A Vase On Monday. Check out her post here.