Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

We had a big rainstorm come through last night, with lots of wind. This is relatively uncommon for this time of year here in the PNW. A normal summer means no rain after the Fourth of July. I went out this morning for a walk-around, to see what survived.

First, The Good:


This annual poppy, which I think is Imperial Pink, from seeds that Catherine of A Gardener in Progress shared, looks quite pretty with water droplets.





Another annual poppy, called 'Drama Queen' was leaning on a nearby Monarda.

'Drama Queen' looking a bit windblown



This annual poppy, about to open, seemed to survive intact.



I think this one is going to be a peony-flowered poppy.




Many of these deep purple poppies were laying all over, every which way. A couple are still standing tall, though.





This Mariposa lily was bent down to the ground. 



This native plant has very long stems. I'm not sure if that is a feature of the plant, or if it's because of where they are planted. Others were in better shape, but still leaning over, supported by their neighbors, a tangle of stems.





The Bad: I found the neighbor's cat, Luci (short for Lucifer) chewing on my Pennisetum 'Karley Rose'. I noticed the other day that it was looking rather chewed up. I guess this is the reason. But I have quite a few clumps of this, and this one is still flowering, so I don't mind sharing.
Bad Luci!


The Ugly: The storm brought down a couple of big branches on my pear tree (at least I think it's a pear tree, we've never seen fruit).


That's quite an ugly scar!
Hmm...it didn't have the best shape before this, now it's even worse. I think the previous owners topped it, which is not a good tree-care practice.

Well, the sun is coming out now, so I think I might go for a walk.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, you sure did get the stormy weather! We got some, but nothing compared to what caused tree damage you had.
    I really like the deep, dark, almost ebony poppies you have pictured. And to prevent any 'drama' amongst the beauties, I wouldn't think of overlooking mention of the lovely 'Drama Queen'! So very dramatic.
    Hope the sun stayed out long enough for your walk. I'm hopeful that we will eventually get some 'summer' weather this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sure could use some rain here in southern Ontario! Love the Poppies...I had a few pop up in the yard this year as well. I like the Mariposa Lily too, I've never seen them before. Sorry about your Pear tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh that must have been quite a storm - Maybe this will spur your tree on to produce some pears..... Love, love that drama queen poppy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison, I think I need to plant a 'Drama Queen' poppy so there will be two DQ's in my yard! (Me and the plant.) I'm so glad you didn't have any worse damage in your lovely gardens, though I'm sorry for the poor pear tree. Such pretty native flowers, love their faces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! It wasn't so bad here! You have a good variety of poppies Alison! Love their colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was quite some storm you experienced, Alison. Glad it didn't do any damage to your home. I love your Drama Queen poppy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well the GOOD sure outnumbered the bad. I think. I didn't actually count but it seems that way. Luci is a cutie pie. I think you're a nice neighbor for sharing with him. I'm glad those branches didn't do any damage to your house or anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great poppies!! I used to have some of the peony poppies, but those dark purple ones are super.
    Shoo that kitty out of your Karly Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that was quite a storm. I love the Imperial Pink Poppy. Everything still looks very good, if not a bit wind blown.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I guess we were gone during that weather, although it poured rain in Oregon where we were. That is the Imperial Pink, so glad it bloomed for you. I have them blooming now too.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.