Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fertilizer Friday and Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day -- Shasta Daisies, Dianthus, Coreopsis

I have quite a few flowers to flaunt today for Fertilizer Friday and for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day! I don't usually participate in GBBD, but I thought since these two blogging memes coincide today, I figured it made sense to take part in both.

My Shasta daisies, which I grew from seed last year, have finally started blooming. They've been on the verge of opening for about a week now.





 

Snug as a bug...











LadyBug Instar on Shasta Daisy

So far, I have only one open daylily.

'Barbara Mitchell'


The peony-flowered poppies have opened completely.



Coreopsis and Dianthus, all grown from seed last year, are blooming.

Coreopsis grandiflora 'Sunray'


Dianthus 'Brilliancy'






Dianthus 'Cheddar Pink'



Nodding Onion/Allium cernuum


This Corydalis has been flowering for months.



My Astilbes are looking bright. I've lost the tag, so I don't know the name of it.



I got this Thalictrum my first year here in the PNW, and it's only been foliage till this year. The foliage looked a lot like columbine, so for a while I thought that was what it was. Then just recently, it put up a tall flower stalk, and I remembered what it was. I think it is Thalictrum pubescens.



It has kind of a fairy quality to it.



Like little fairies in grass skirts, floating in mid-air.





Fertilizer Friday is hosted by Glenda at TootsieTime. Go and see all the wonderful flowers being flaunted all around the world.



Carol at May Dreams Gardens hosts Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. There are hundreds of posts. Check it out!





13 comments:

  1. My gosh I love the daisy from start to finish ~ WOW beautiful photos. The ladybug, perfect.
    Your astible is a stunning color, mine are much darker and I now have envy!
    I also envy your coreopsis, I can't seem to keep mine growing in the PNW but it grew like a weed in MI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the unfolding show of the daisy, enchanting because the photos are lovely. May i know if those Astilbe only grows in temperate climes? I love its brave proud color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I love that you showcased the series of the shasta daisies opening up! They have such interesting buds, as they unfurl.

    The pretty daylily that you chose for your 'linky' photo for FF is really a great one as well.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Daisy photos are fabulous!
    Happy GBBD :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures are wonderful, Alison and I love the descriptions you give of your flowers. This time, of the little fairies in their grass skirts! Your Astilbe is such a vivid shade of cerise. Truly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blooms!! I planted 3 Astilbe this year, but their blooms are a little late in coming . . . maybe next year. I love watching the daisy bloom evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos and great blooms! The astilbe photo is lovely! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last few photos contain an intriguing plant. They do look rather fairy-ish. Love how you captured the stages of daisies blooming and the close-ups are so clear and focused. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful, pristine white. I love your daisy. Grown from seed and everything. Great job! All your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think too that Meadow Rues have a fairy-like quality about them. You've sold me on trying Nodding Onion next year. Those Shasta Daisies look worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THE CUTEST PHOTO I HAVE EVER SEEN IS THAT LADYBUG IN THE FLOWER!!! Love it!
    thanks for linking in this week. I am always in awe of all the different flowers everyone flaunts. It is a pleasure to tour and see all the gorgeous blooms...and I always enjoy stopping by here! I hope you will link in again soon!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.