Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Plants Don't Have Calendars

This morning on the way to the train station to drop Nigel off, I said, "Spring is almost here!"

"When is Spring?"

"March 21...but everything is already bursting!"

"That's because plants don't have calendars."

Herewith, the evidence that Spring is springing.

Blue Hepatica

Pink Hepatica


Geranium 'Confetti'

Brain-like Rhubarb leaf getting ready to pop

Unfurling sword fern

Cyclamen coum
 
Allium

8 comments:

  1. Yay for pretties popping out to encourage us through these grey Northwest days..Thanks for brightening my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that Allium is so gorgeous!

    My garden is quite behind where it was last year for February Bloomday. I'm blaming it on a cold January.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wowsers!! Your yard is alive!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Hooray for an early spring! The groundhog may be fallible on the east coast but here not so much. Only a week away from the NWFG show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I could get out under the pines I'd look for my ferns to be emulating yours. I think both we and the plants have a kind of pent-up need to open and get out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think spring the first flowers are a bit late this year. Hellebores & cyclamen that have only just opened well into February were blooming in January in 2011 & 2012. I usually have Crocus by now. January 2013 was unusually cold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Alison! It's is around the corner! Like DG, my bulbs are a bit behind this year too. That cold, freezing fog crap screwed everything up. lol Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  8. How thrilling! I love that "brainy" rhubarb! So nice to have spring popping up before spring's official arrival!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.