Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Moss and Flowers on My 'Forest Pansy' Redbud

Flowers appear first on redbud trees, before the leaves. I've had this Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy' for a few years now, having replaced a nasty suckering cherry tree that the previous owners had topped, which oozed sap and always aborted its fruit, with this. This is the first spring since I planted it that I've noticed flowers. I don't know if it was resting since being planted, or if I just wasn't as observant as I think I am. Last year, I did kind of ignore this area of the garden, tucked behind the new greenhouse.


Pink flowers against a blue sky

I love how some of the flowers are just sticking out of the trunk

I love the moss growing on the trunk too


In this spot, I have both moss and flowers


It's a great tree, but it tends to drop a lot of twigs and chunks of bark, which worries me. Pretty twigs, but still. And I wish more of the pretty flowers and leaves (dark purple when it leafs out) were closer to eye-height.