Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Friday, December 14, 2012

December Photo Project 2012 -- Day Fourteen

I took this picture yesterday. I went out to lunch at Windmill Gardens nursery, a local nursery that also has a really nice cafe. I felt like I needed a treat. Afterwards, I decided to take a little stroll around their display garden. I posted about this nursery over a year ago here.

The garden today is pretty much all shut down for winter -- except for a row of espaliered Camellias, which are flowering profusely. When I came around a corner and saw them, I realized that there was a female Anna's hummingbird not more than three feet away from me, sipping from the Camellia flowers. I was close enough to clearly make out the little patch of red feathers on her breast. I didn't have my camera out yet, so I tried to surreptitiously get it out of my purse without disturbing her too much.

Well, no such luck. I spooked her. But I did manage to get a silhouetted picture of her where she sat in a nearby contorted hazelnut tree, waiting for me to go away.