Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Wednesday Vignette -- A Perfect Pick-Me-Up

If you're a winter-weary PNWer, I know the perfect pick-me-up. Pack a suitcase and park your butt on a plane bound for southern California ASAP. It's only about a 2 1/2-hour flight, and there's no jet lag.

Facebook friends know Nigel and I just returned from a week away at Disneyland in Anaheim, California, and even though the Tacoma area hasn't had as bad a winter as my garden blogging friends in Portland, Oregon, or some of my gardening friends north of Seattle even -- Holy Moly! Was it wonderful!

Not as warm as I expected, and a bit windy (especially our last day, Friday, which I guess was the infamous Santa Ana winds, although I thought they were supposed to be hot). But it was sunny the entire time we were there, and we managed to arrive the day after torrential rain and hail.

I didn't bother to bring my big digital SLR camera. I wanted to relax and not think too much about having to take pictures for the blog. (We did a lot of walking and eating.) But I couldn't fail to notice this plant, which I'm pretty sure is a blooming Baja fairy duster. I've seen photos of it on some of the California blogs that I follow, so seeing one for real was interesting. It's probably common as weeds, but don't you just love that name?

Calliandra californica/Baja fairy duster

I'll share a few more photos from the trip in future posts.

Anna at Flutter & Hum hosts Wednesday Vignette. Check out her post here.


13 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you that you got a bit of a sunny pick-me-up in Southern California! Love the picture and the plant and look forward to future posts from your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that plant. And sun! Actually, we've had a few sunny days recently and I've just soaked it in. I wish it was a bit warmer, but I'll take anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a drool-worthy plant! So glad you got to go down there, and warm up both heart and soul. It's freezing outside right now - icy eastern winds, and we down here in Portland are bracing for more snow. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the name, and the plant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you got to enjoy some sun here, Alison! The Santa Anas do generally blow hot (as they did here this past weekend) but not always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Running away to a fantasy land does sound wonderful right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you to have found some sun in the middle of winter! Your fairy duster is gorgeous, such a pretty flower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had fun! Beautiful photo, and it is a pick-me-up--thanks! We all need them these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you had a good time in L.A. even though it wasn't as warm as you had expected.

    Yes, it's a Baja fairy duster (Calliandra californica). It may be common in Southern California and Arizona (it also grows well here in the Sacramento Valley) but I love the flowers, which are present virtually year round.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Southern California definitely has restorative powers. I would like to go in spring so I could see the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I wish we could grow this plant here. Absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy you and Nigel were off to a warmer clime for awhile. What an amazing bloom; and yes, I too love the name!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aaaah...the healing power of sunshine. Great for you Alison!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.