Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- February 2017

It's hard to believe February is already half done. Miraculously, there seems to be quite a lot blooming, in the garden, when you look closely enough.

Mahonia x media 'Charity

Garrya (could be elliptica, could be issaquahensis)

Ditto the above

Garrya will never win any awards for fabulous foliage, but those flowers at this time of year are the best. I have two in my garden, and I've lost track of which is which. One seems to be blooming a little further along than the other, but the other one has healthier foliage, and has grown much larger in the same amount of time.

Cyclamen coum

Cyclamen coum

Sarcococca (sweetbox, smells so good)

Hamamelis (not Jelena)

Hamamelis (not Jelena)

I used to think my Hamamelis was 'Jelena' but it's not. I could look up the tag, but where's the fun in that?
Hellebore 'Penny's Pink (I think)

Hellebore

Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn' (also smells so good)

Black pussy willow

Black pussy willow


And there's a few flowers in the greenhouse, as well.

Bilbergia nutans (Queen's tears) featured in yesterday's Valentine's Day post

Iochroma 'Ashcott Red'

Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer'

Closeup, showing beelines

Begonia 'Baby Dress'

Pregnant onion

I noticed lots of swelling buds in the garden when I was wandering with my camera. Spring really is right around the corner here. I need to get out and start doing more cleanup. Things are a mushy, ugly mess after our snow, but I'm having a hard time getting enthusiastic. I'm counting on the Northwest Flower and Garden Show next week to rev my engine up.

Carol at May Dreams Gardens hosts Garden Bloggers Bloom Day on the 15th of the month. Check out her post here.


18 comments:

  1. Ahhh, you must be where it is warmer than it is here. It is such fun to see so many blooms. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring is right around the corner and your many blooms are proof of that! Happy GBBD pal! Looking forward to seeing you at the NWFGS in just a few short days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a bouquet of Alstroemeria. They last so long. Do you grow them outdoors as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. does your hellebore 'pennys pink' have new foliage with pink veins? thinking of picking this one up this week locally. We were tentatively planning an outing to Eugene, Oregon for the Northwest Garden Nursery's Open Garden and Plant Sale, but competing in the “black friday at walmart” of the Oregon gardening world is too stressful for me now. Next year. When i no longer have neuropathy in my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn, I forgot my Mahonia x media 'Charity! You've got a lot of lovely blooms Alison. And you're tempting me to plant a Garrya. Have you seen this one: http://plantlust.com/plants/26847/garrya-x-issaquahensis-glasnevin-wine/?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Given the horrible winter you've had, you've got a surprising number of blooms, Alison! I wish I had your success with hellebores. (I've got one infant bud on just one of my half-dozen plants). Your photos also make me wish I'd planted Cyclamen - with all the rain we've had they might have actually survived and bloomed this year. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Somehow, I'm willing to bet, you walk out of the NW Garden show feeling pretty inspired. You have many blooms to offer our flying friends, I just love that about your garden. Wishing you a Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hard to get motivated until the sun shines, I'm just the same, but it can't be long now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for reminding me to go look at our mahonia japonica. it has a stunning whorl of flower stems just opening. i almost missed it. smells wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely showing for bloom day, thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your closeup photos make everything look so exotic. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your black pussy willow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you have some great blooms despite winter chill and rain and snow. The Hellebores are beautiful, the black pussy willow exotic, the Garrya very elegant. Great bloom day post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you have a lot of beautiful blooms in your garden at this time of year!

    Greetings, Sofie #26
    http://sofiecreates.blogspot.be/2017/02/garden-bloggers-bloom-day-february-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have lots of great blooms! I love garryas and plan on adding several more to my garden this year. The ones in the garden at Cistus, at least, took the snow like champs, popping back up and continuing to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't it wonderful when everything starts growing again, spring isn't far away! You have lots of lovely blooms to tempt you into the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos, Alison, of some of my very favorites. I used to have both 'Dawn' and the black pussy willow, but they have now gone to live with Tamara. I do have a 'Charity' and a Garrya elliptica - both still in large nursery pots waiting for their forever home... Ah - to have the space...!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Didn't know there was such a thing as a black pussy willow! Nice Hellebores and Mahonia.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.