Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Flower World Too

Here's an addendum to yesterday's post about our visit to Molbak's. There's no sense driving all the way to Molbak's and not continuing on to Flower World, which is just another 10 or 15 minutes down the road. Flower World wasn't having a houseplant and pottery sale like Molbak's, but they still have plenty of interesting and photogenic plants on offer.

'Jelena' Witch Hazel

Variegated Brugmansias -- it seemed rather odd to see these in January

Bromeliads and Orchids

This gorgeous Bromeliad was so tempting!



A delightful little water feature indoors

Only $2.99 for this tiny unlabeled cutting that I think might be Crown of Th]
\'

Begonias all looking quite healthy but not a wide selection

Variegated Philodendron labeled 'Ginny' but a Google search on that doesn't tell me much

There's a lovely little spot to sit and read, but I can never talk Nigel into it, he seems to prefer waiting in the car

You can even watch the goldfish swimming

Miss Andrea Cordylines -- I bought one last year but it didn't fare well, so I resisted the urge to buy another

Colorful Crotons and a large Cycad

These were labeled Euphorbia tirucalli, which is the same Latin name as the succulent called "Sticks on Fire,' which are red. But these are solid green. And the size of small trees.

Bunches of red twig and yellow twig dogwood

Winter Jasmine! Very tempting.

Can you believe I resisted this too?

They had Primulas in some of my favorite peachy colors

Absolutely pristine!

It was so heartening to see these not all chewed up by slugs

Christmas cactuses left over from the holidays

I bought this one!

And this one too!

Of course on the way home I regretted not buying that winter jasmine.

10 comments:

  1. I'm loving their little pond, how relaxing it must to just sit and watch the fish do their thing! The variegated philodendron is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have bought that Guzmania. Nobody ever had too many bromeliads -- or did they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't get the winter jasmine - It's such a cheery sight when it blooms in the winter. The big question is, did you and Nigel eat at the Maltby Cafe while you were in that neck of the woods? I love the Flower World/Molbaks field trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last time I was there turtles were keeping those fish company by the pond. Did you see any? My Miss Andrea Cordyline bit the dust...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course you couldn't turn around and skip a garden center like that so close by! I've never seen that Cordyline before - if both you and Loree had problems with it, I guess I should take a pass if it shows up here but it's very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really should plant a winter jasmine, and locate it where you can see it from the house. They are very cheerful in the dead of winter. They are very hardy, and root layer like crazy, so you would soon have many plants if you let one sprawl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been to any nurseries yet this year. I've done tons of online "shopping" though. Mostly "window" or "screen" shopping. I'm so ready for spring. That waterfall is just lovely. I have lots of red twigs that are still on my 'Sango Kaku'. I should sell them. Love your cactus blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very nice selection of plants in the middle of winter! I like the colors in the Variegated Philodendron, that could be fun here in Houston. The winter jasmine is lovely, it looks a bit like my Carolina Jasmine. Thank you for the tour : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. You learned your lesson with Miss Andrea? Must have taken an act of willpower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My winter jasmine, given to me as a start from another blogger, is blooming for the first time!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.