Saturday, December 21, 2013

Happy Winter Solstice!

Happy Winter Solstice!

And I do mean HAPPY!



I truly cannot remember a previous year when I was so happy to celebrate the winter solstice. While technically it is the first day of winter, it is also the day of the year when the Earth in the Northern Hemisphere experiences the fewest hours of daylight, and hereafter begins the long, slow climb toward spring and summer. From now on, the days start to lengthen.


Picture me at my computer, dancing like Snoopy anticipating supper, at the prospect of those lengthening days. It's been a dark December with record-breaking cold temperatures, and I've been challenged to find joy, despite it being the so-called holiday season. I have suffered from intermittent depression all my life, but I don't think I've ever had what they call Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), which is related to the number of hours and quality of daylight perceived by the brain.

I don't think SAD is my problem this year either. It's just hard to force false jollity.



But there's no false jollity today. Today the jollity is real. From now on, more daylight.

Jolly, Happy Winter Solstice!



20 comments:

  1. I agree. Although we have a long way to go, just those few minutes of additional daylight and the promise of more to come make the spirits soar. Happy Winter Solstice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The short days get to me too. Every day I wish there was a couple more hours of daylight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had an unusual number of dark and cold days this year too. There's more to come but it's nice to start enjoying lengthening days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That IS something to be happy about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy winter solstice to you, Alison! The lengthening daylight hours are definitely something to cheer about. I wish I could send you some of SoCal's warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Winter Solstice Alison! It's s day to spread some seeds and put our good intentions forth for a happy growing season ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many years I've had the countdown on my refrigerator door, and I could tell you exactly how many seconds we were gaining each day. I'm not quite as obsessed this year but still join you in celebrating the return of light.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've had sun, so I guess I should be happy about that, but I'll be happy to see the end of going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark..

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Winter Solstice to you, Alison! I too, celebrate the return of the light. Plus, Charlie proposed to me on Winter Solstice, so it's a happy memory. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. And a beautiful mild, sunny day today ! Happy Solstice Alison …the seed catalogs will be arriving soon , that always cheers me up .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't call it SAD, I call it ANGRY:

    Affective
    November-triggered
    Grim
    Recurring
    Year-end disorder.

    I named it, I claimed it and now I am living with it more happily. I'll soon be planting tulips and daffodils when this cloudy warm is replaced by sunny cold.

    Have some fruitcake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you, this fall was particularly hard! Happy solstice and cheers to increasing daylight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Same to you! The short, dreary days almost always bring my spirits down. It is good to celebrate the turning of the tide, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely agree....I wait for this day and the lengthening of the days...yippeee!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's wonderful when the days start getting longer again isn't it? Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hooray for longer days, and plant shopping, and garden touring, and planting, and weeding, and (o.k. maybe not so much weeding.) Anyway, happy belated solstice to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Belated Happy Solstice and Merry Christmas Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am ready for the days to get longer, as well. Hope you have a great 2014.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.