Friday, December 6, 2013

Frost Flowers

We are currently having some of the coldest weather I can remember since moving here to the PNW about 5 years ago -- cold enough to cause frost flowers to pop out at the base of the stems of my Chocolate Joe-Pye Weed. Read an explanation of what frost flowers are here.

I've heard of them before, usually on other plants. I don't think I've ever heard of them appearing on Joe-Pye. But yesterday I went out for a really quick look around the garden, and was so excited to see these!








Aren't the candy floss swirls and shapes fascinating?

9 comments:

  1. So pretty! I've never seen these before. Hope you're keeping warm up there on the plateau!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! I've never seen - or even heard of - these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome, Alison! I've heard of actual "Frost Flowers", but didn't realize other plants did it as well. I ran out this morning to see if my Chocolate Joe Pye's had reacted similarly, sadly, they have not :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I have ever seen that!

    Maybe I am happy have not seen it as do not want me or my plants to be that cold!

    By the way, I hereby present you with the Dragon Loyalty Award for all your good commenting! No strings attached and you don’t have to follow the “rules of acceptance.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating indeed, and looks tactile too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of frost flowers, How amazing! They make such beautiful shapes. Your winter starts early.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Frost flowers are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for helping the effort to "learn something new every day".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I've never seen anything like that. Here in our garden everything just looks dried out - no obvious moisture anywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.