Thursday, December 5, 2013

Copper Pipe Pavilion

I'm not quite sure what to call the structure that Chris is making out of copper pipe that will cover part of the gravel patio. A pavilion? A gazebo? A pergola? They've been building it for the last couple of days inside our garage, which means our car has to be parked outside in the frigid cold overnight. The car was coated in frost this morning, because this week we are having some truly cold weather here, with predictions of an overnight low of 11 degrees F. for the weekend.

I'm also kind of wondering how truly nuts I am for wanting it, commissioning it, designing it. I got the idea from a Pinterest pin, which used PVC pipe. You can see that pin here. My plan is to hang curtains on the corners, like the one in the Pin, as well as a shade cloth over the top.

I thought copper would be prettier (unfortunately, also more expensive and more valuable -- D'oh!)

What do you think? Am I a total crackpot?

Copper pipe pavilion sitting in our garage

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I love aged copper in the garden and this is going to be beautiful. Stay warm! I hope to see you on Saturday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very cool! I may have to steal your idea, but make it so it can be taken apart for winter storage. It's really terrible we have to worry about theft of garden items. Hopefully nobody makes off with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful and will add so much to your garden. I love that you followed an idea from Pinterest since I'd love to do something like that eventually tool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all, love the idea and the more solid look of copper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom has made a few smaller structures out of copper and they are aging nicely. This is BIG and will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours is a better plan because PVC breaks down in sunlight. Conduit would have been a better material for the orignal designer to have used but still not as long-lasting as copper. I like your ideas.



    ReplyDelete
  7. Alison, this is going to be gorgeous! Are you still going with the tropical themed front bed? If so, I like the pin idea of calling a cabana. Now all you need is a pool boy to wait on you hand and foot. As for the crackpot question...geeze don't give us an opening like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it a pavilion or a pergola? Either way, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Pavilion. Here's a link I found that might have something you'd find helptul, or not.

    http://www.cholmquistgardens.com/2013/11/out-of-the-sun-and-into-the-shade-design-innovations-for-comfort-in-the-shade/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wondering how this turned out for you all...I have been looking at this page for over a year trying to see how it would work in our own garden, if it is worth the expense, etc. It is such a beautiful idea! And, I love the thought it the copper patina over the years. Updated pictures would be great! :]

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.