Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Blog More Often

I don't make New Year's Resolutions any more, because it's too easy to break them and then feel discouraged. So I'm making goals. One of my goals for 2018 is to blog more often. It's easy, actually, to start blogging. The hard part is to keep blogging. Once you stop, or slow down, it can be hard to get back into the swing, or to work up enthusiasm. It's not even that life gets in the way, or that my life has been busy. I just sometimes get discouraged and can't convince myself that anyone but me is interested, either in my pictures or in reading what I have to say.

Anyway, I still have a backlog of pictures and topics that I keep promising to post, and one of my promises to myself is to post them soon. Here's a little foretaste.

Last summer I got together a couple of times with Peter The Outlaw Gardener to visit gardens in Seattle and nearby in Puyallup.

'Just Joey' hybrid tea rose in the garden of Myrna Torrie

Dahlia in the garden of Camille Paulsen

Back in August I spent a day in Seattle, which I blogged about here. I always meant to post my photos of China's terra cotta warriors that appeared at the Pacific Science Center.

Terra Cotta horse and warrior

I've been to area nurseries a few times as well, including a recent trip to Molbak's.

Orchid display at Molbak's

After Molbak's I stopped off at McMenamin's Anderson School to check out the garden there, which is probably as interesting in the dead of winter as it is during the height of the growing season.

Agave ovatifolia in the garden at the Anderson School

I have projects in various stages of completion going on in my own garden -- a new path, the cutting garden, a bug hotel, and seeds to sow out in the greenhouse.

The old path, formerly covered in weeds, has been taken up and is in the process of being redone

In November, the week before Thanksgiving, Nigel and I went to Disneyland in California. Always a fun trip, where I notice something new about the landscaping each time we visit.

A row of cactus reflected in a window at Disneyland's California Adventure

Also, February will be here before you know it, and the Northwest Flower and Garden Show is early in February this year -- Feb. 7-11, 2018. You don't want to miss it!