Monday, August 15, 2016

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- August 2016

The garden in August is a bit burnt up, to be honest. Although it has been a cooler and less droughty summer than usual, I also haven't been watering as much as I should, so there's probably less flowering than there has been in the past. I spot-water when I see something I really care about looking limp.

If I don't really care, well, tough love, baby. That plant's on its own. We'll see what lives till next year.

I wonder if anyone remembers the Hydrangea border I tried to plant last year. Man, they didn't like our summer drought. I ended up digging them all up and potting them up. Now the pots get babied and I move them into a spot in one of the shady borders that's full of Dicentra 'Gold Heart' in early spring, after I cut it back to the ground.






Late summer wouldn't be the same without black-eyed Susans.



Eucomis aka Pineapple Lily

Ornamental Oregano is so carefree

Echinacea 'White Swan'

Blue Flax is reblooming

Fuchsia magellanica blooms all summer and into fall, and I haven't watered it even once yet

Geranium phaeum 'Samobor' is reblooming too

California Fuchsia planted last fall is blooming (I didn't think this would survive the winter, but it did -- then again, it was a mild winter)

One of the overwintered Begonias that survived my winter of discontent is blooming


There is more, but not all the photos turned out in focus, and I'm too lazy to go out and try again. So you get what you get. Be satisfied.

Carol at May Dreams Gardens hosts Garden Bloggers Bloom Day on the fifteenth of every month. She's been doing it for years and years. Check out her blog here.

16 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Hydrangeas. I don't have room for them in my garden but nothing else has quite those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider me satisfied! Gorgeous photos of 'Samabor' and the California fuchsia. They're all great, but those are my favorites. Hey, at least you remembered GBBD! I wrote a random post last night to share today. I completely lost track of the date! Gotta get to work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, sounds like a common phrase at my house. You get what you get and you don't throw a fit. The hydrangeas are so purty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "So you get what you get. Be satisfied." -- you crack me up Alison.

    I saw someone on Facebook said they liked your "white swan" photo. I was thinking what? Why does she have a photo of a white swan in her bloomday post? Now I get it. Beautiful Echinacea 'White Swan'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, Alison. I planted the pink (of course) California Fuchsia this spring. I've watered it once and it's blooming! That is one tough plant. Now if I can get it to winter over. Yours is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Hydrangeas are stunning. Most of what you have blooming like White Swan has finished for the season here. I feel as if I garden in a steam bath. I wish Fuchsias liked humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After our nasty June heatwave, I started babying my own garden with hand-watering but it does get old as the summer plods along! Despite the droughty conditions, you've got a lot of stand-out plants, Alison. I'm very, very impressed by that fuchsia - I've altogether given up trying to grow them here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful. watering was a mess in may and my Geranium phaeum 'Samobor' was the biggest tragedy because it was a gift from you. is Fuchsia magellanica more resistant to all the usual fuchsia problems? you have some beautiful flowers. happily, the Persicaria ‘golden arrow’ has thrived and spread. Persicaria ‘red dragon’ doing fine, too. my dozens of plants in pots need to be babied and are being randomly killed by to little or too much water because i am still to sick to take care of them properly. all i can tell my plants is "So you get what you get. Be satisfied."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm satisfied. Although, I'd be even happier if I could overwinter a Fuchsia magellanica shrub. Sigh. Happy Blooms Day, Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted G. 'Sambor' ..maybe this year. Hard to imagine having to dig up a Hydrangea border in the PNW. Certainly speaks to our climate doesn't it ? Just ask a gardener if you think climate change is bogus, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was out deadheading this morning, and noticing what is blooming, what has benefitted from being cut back earlier, and what is ready to just be chopped down. August gets a little scraggly, but blooms keep happening. Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very satisfying post, if I may say so. :) Great photos too - I'm especially fond of the blue Flax flower. Have you ever seen an entire field of those? Out of this world...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm like you, plants just have to cope with the rain that falls. Pots are watered, but that is it. In spite of the weather you have a beautiful selection of flowers, they are obviously happy in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blue flax! And the red/rubrum annual for next spring too, thanks for the reminder. Narbonense gets huge, or at least when I last grew it. Your garden seems very happy with your brand of tough love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pictures of your flowers are gorgeous and quite satisfying. How's that for you get what you get and don't throw a fit? Hope your GBBD was a happy one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful photos! I especially love the Eucomis and blue flax.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.