Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Wednesday Vignette

Now that our string of frosty days has ended, and our temps have gone back up to a balmy 45, there is an overabundance of ugliness out in my garden, in the form of blackened or mushy foliage. But we also had rain last night, so everything this morning was dripping with water, which can enhance the  beauty of just about anything.

But that's not what I'm sharing a picture of today. After making the rounds of the front garden looking for photo ops, I went into the greenhouse to see what, if anything, looked good in there. One of the first things I spied was this harvestman, hanging out on the lime tree. He's a lovely predator, isn't he? Aphids have already taken up residence on some of my plants that are overwintering in there, so I hope he takes a nice big bite out of the population.


Hope you enjoyed this Wednesday Vignette, which is hosted by Anna at the blog Flutter and Hum. Check out her post here, as well as the other posts from bloggers sharing in the fun.

I'll share my photos of water-spotted foliage in a future post.

10 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous photo! The best vignette of today, and I am so happy I can see it. It is a "perfect refreshment" indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice photo! I didn't know that harvestmen ate aphids. I read now that they also eat mites, which is strange because I often see red mites attached to these around my garden. You'd think they would get a buddy to eat the mites off them... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photo! I love these little critters. I know them as Daddy longlegs and they bring me sweet memories from the summers of my childhood in the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo. I'm glad he's there to take a bite out of things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photo, Alison. I hope that predator helps control the pests. I need to do another evaluation of my garden now that we've had a hard freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was not familiar with the name "harvestman" so I looked it up. Oh, daddy longlegs, and actually not spiders at all. I learned something!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen a daddy longlegs for quite awhile. I'm glad you have one clearing your greenhouse of aphids. I opened a bottle of ice tea yesterday and the "real fact" on the lid stated that aphids are born pregnant. Horrors!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.