Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Monday, December 28, 2015

Adopt ALL the Kitties!

I was so very moved by all the condolence comments I received on the blog when I posted about Magellan's passing recently. Thank you all so much.

We also got some lovely condolence cards from the vets who cared for Magellan.






I had a difficult week after Magellan passed. I couldn't seem to stop myself from looking for her every time I came in from the grocery store or from running errands. Although at first I thought I'd like to wait much, much longer before we adopted another kitty, it seemed that perhaps the only way to circumvent that urge to look for her was to actually have a kitty to greet!

I started poring over all the websites of local pet adoption agencies, and on Petfinder. If I could have adopted every cat I saw, I would have. Despite having some picky criteria, there were still plenty of possibilities, which makes me a bit sad to think about. We wanted to adopt an adult cat, at least 5 years old, long-haired, in good health.

Introducing: Ronin

Ronin, on his first day in our home, not too sure yet about this adoption thing

On the cat tree a few days later, surveying his domain

"Hey, can I get some sleep here?"

Giving me a bit of stink-eye

Fluffy paw

Fluffy tail

We found Ronin at the Homeward Pet Adoption Center in Woodinville, WA, and I have to say that the adoption process there was one of the most pleasant adoption experiences we've ever had. Our adoption counselor was so helpful, supportive and friendly.

We just adore him, and he seems to adore us too. He follows us from room to room, and is a real cuddlebear. He just loves to sit on our laps and be stroked. When I pick him up, he boops his nose against mine. We don't allow kitties to sleep in our bed, but so far he has been waiting right outside the bedroom door to greet us every morning. When I posted a photo of him on Facebook, my blogger friend Laura of Gravy Lessons, said "He doesn't realize he just won the pet adoption lottery!"

In all truth, I think we won the lottery too.

28 comments:

  1. I love what your friend Laura said and congratulations on your new family member. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's looks like he'll be good garden poser .

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good thing. Ronin was looking for you and you found him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Alison, he looks so sweet! Congratulations to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beauty! I'm so happy for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's gorgeous! So happy you found each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky, lucky Ronin! He just won the human jackpot! I'm so happy for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ronin is beautiful. I have never seen a cat with his stripey grey and black fur. Is he your only pet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Alison, I'm so glad you found a new kitty friend , and what a pretty boy ! Here's to many years of companionship and happy 'Caturdays !

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful cat! And already fitting right in with his new family! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It makes me so happy to think of Ronin in your house. I hope that he will become a loving salve for your loss of Magellan. Good for you for knowing what you - and Ronin - needed most!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is brilliant news. For him and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He's gorgeous and clearly adapting quickly to his new home. I'm glad that you found Ronin and he, you! When I lost my calico, Gumption, many years ago, I was depressed for months. My subsequent losses have been tempered by having a second cat on hand to provide comfort. We're currently a one-cat household (Pipig is very happy being queen) but I admit to a strong temptation to adopt another.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yaaay! Welcome little furry Ronin...he DID win the kitty lottery. I always say that after I die, I want to come back as one of my mom's cats. Spoiled rotten.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are both so lucky to have found each other, you are going to have a great time together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations with Ronin, he looks gorgeous. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry about Magellan. I've had several dogs die and it's just so hard. How lucky for Ronin! All of my dogs are from shelters, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on such a friendly cat, Alison. We cat-sat our grand-kitty and she is very young and decided to hide behind the sofa for several days. Ronin's coat is so pretty, and I find the hairs sticking out of his ears very comical.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry about your loss but am elated for both you and Ronin as you both find places in your hearts for each other. He's very handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Alison - I hadn't heard about Magellan. I'm so sorry for your loss, but congratulations on having chosen a great vet. Also, my hat's off to Ronin who - as many have stated before me - really DID win the adoption lottery. He looks like a great personality!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry to hear about meggelan recently my two doggies passed away that has been with us for 17 years :( congrats on ur cat hes so adorable, true beauty! Thank you for sharing, visit me whenever you have time at http://its-dominica.blogspot.co.uk/ !! Kisses, Dominica S.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a magnificent creature Ronin is!
    I wish you many purrrfectly happy years together.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am SO happy you have Ronin in your life now! What an adorable face, so regal, so loving. My heart is happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ronin is a handsome fella! Very photogenic. I'm so happy that you both won the adoption lottery!! I look forward to seeing more pictures of Ronin.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It sounds like Ronin is very happy to have found a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so glad your fur kid has settled in and is such an adorable one to boot!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.