Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Wednesday Vignette - Goodbye, Godzilla Summer!

I hear there is a Godzilla El Nino building up in the Pacific Ocean, slated to give us a mild winter like the last one, with little snow and less rain (but more rain for California, apparently). Bad news for the ski industry and for the PNW's snow-pack. It also means saying good-bye to our Godzilla summer, which was long, hot and dry, and left me and my garden feeling a lot like Japan being stomped by a fire-breathing monster (or perhaps by Treat Williams doing an impression of Godzilla in the movie "Things To Do in Denver When You're Dead'). I wonder if next summer will be similar?

Anyway, I thought for today, our first day of autumn, I would bid good-bye to summer with a couple of pictures, which I'll also include in Anna's Wednesday Vignette meme. Here are just a few flowers that I left out of last week's Bloom Day post.

Canna 'Tropicanna'

Bougainvillea

Centaurea dealbata (Persian cornflower), looking a lot like a pinwheel (or perhaps a spinning winter storm?)


 
"I am Godzilla, You are Japan!"


Anna at Flutter and Hum hosts Wednesday Vignette. You can read her current post with her musings about light in the garden here, and don't forget to check out the links in the comments to other bloggers' posts.

12 comments:

  1. I love that you got the actual bougainvillea flower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping for a mild winter, I bet you will welcome a respite from the hot summer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photo of the Bougie. Just the right angle.

    Oh yeah, its finally autumn. Yay! Except we have 90's for the next week. So much for autumn. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your canna is such a delightful color, I don't know if I dare hope mine could bloom before fall. The Bouganvillea is so pretty, takes me back to San Diego, who I guess will be getting all our rain, like it did a few times while we lived there. That does not bode well for next year, but I am laying in the drought tolerant plants this fall. The cornflower is doing amazing swirls. Enjoy your cool fall weather, Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh - you actually got a flower on your Canna! The only one that flowered for me this year was Cleopatra, which I bought new. I have four others, but they all got a real late start after the winter, and not a single one flowered. I did get some leaves, but they all flopped over. Too much shade, I bet... Anyway, happy to enjoy them vicariously through yours. Great shot of the Bougainvillea too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed that cultural reference ("I am Godzilla, you are Japan) but now it will be forever imprinted in my memory. The Centaurea is beautiful. I'm still waiting to see the end of summer here - on it's way out, it seems to have gotten stuck over
    SoCal and Godzilla El Nino hasn't yet arrived to push it the heck out of here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that Bougainvillea! Did yours from WeHoP pull through after all or did you get another?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful shots as always, pal! I'm not sad to see the heat of summer go but it's already feeling awfully cold at night! A mild winter would be nice but I too worry about the snow pack and the possibility of water rationing next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the colour of your Canna and your photo of the Centaurea is like a hurricane on the weather map! Enjoy the cooler days of autumn, you and your plants!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos, as expected, but I'm digging the film clip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your humor and the pictures of your flowers are lushes! Hoping CA gets more rain!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am hoping for a super snowy winter so I can use all my snow days since we don't get them back at the end of the school year. Here's hoping for a moist winter for you. Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.