Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Monday, September 14, 2015

Naked Ladies and Fun Guys

After a long, hot, dry summer in other parts of the country -- the American Southeast for example -- fall rains usher in an interesting plethora of pretty flowering plants -- rain lilies, oxblood lilies and so-called "naked ladies."

What arises here in the PNW after our first fall rains?

Mushrooms.

After our recent storm, two of these warty-looking clusters have appeared in one of my beds.




And a handful of these.




Here's an interesting-looking one. There's a couple of clusters of this as well.





And these little puffballs in the lawn, looking very much like what you might find on a real naked lady.


I tried planting oxblood lilies here my first year. I put the bulbs in the ground, and they disappeared without a trace -- no spring foliage, no early fall flowers, nada.

I guess I'll just have to be content with fungi. They can keep Nigel company -- he's a fun guy too.