Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- September 2015

I often complain that I don't have enough flowers, but when I go out into the garden to take photographs for Bloom Day, I always find something. It's a big garden, so the flowers are spread out.

It's always nice to see the Cyclamen reappear.

It's the season for lots of Rudbeckia too

And I've got several pots of Echinacea waiting in the pot ghetto

As well as a Berkheya purpurea

Clematis tangutica 'Helios'

This Primrose is reblooming

I've still got plenty of Calendula going strong, such as this one which self-sowed itself in exactly the right color-coordinated spot.

I love that the reverse on the petals is mahogany red

Nicotiana sylvestris self-sowed next to, and taller than, Mopsy the bigleaf Magnolia

Dahlia with fly and waiting predator

The Asters are starting to flower

Verbascum bombyciferum has been flowering all summer

The fall-blooming tall Sedums are starting to flower now too

As well as the Japanese Anemones

The recent rains have brought the species Echinaceas back into bloom

Fuchsia magellanica 'Aurea' is another one that flowers all summer

One of my favorite shrubs, golden Leycesteria formosa, is covered in blooms

Hard to believe, but this large shrub was just a rooted cutting last year when I planted it

And that's pretty much it for September.

Carol at May Dreams Gardens is our host for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, on the 15th of every month. Check out her September blooms, and those of other garden bloggers around the world, here.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, the Calendula! Oh, the Nicotiana! Oh, the Dahlia. Oh. Oh. Oh!

    Elisha's Tears or Himalayan Honeysuckle. Would I dare a Leycesteria formosa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your garden is full of pretty flowers, Alison! I laughed to see the Nicotiana in a height competition with the Magnolia - it brought to mind 2 kids standing up against the wall to be measured, each claiming to be the taller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of blooms for September Alison! Is your forecast as wet as ours for the next few days? If so I bet you'll be out there tackling that pot ghetto...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of nice blooms in your garden! The first calendula shot is amazing! Love the color coordination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have still lots of colour in your garden. The Berkheya purpurea is new to me, I will find out if they grow here too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that feeling that there's not much blooming; a camera is all it takes to find the flowers! I'm loving your Fuchsia magellanica. I took one out years ago and every summer I miss it. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I wish I could grow Echinacea. I'm thinking of having a go at the species.. It's a pretty colour and may well be more robust than the newer varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My cyclamens are blooming too, I was surprised to see them. Your new Echinaceas are such pretty colors, I hope they do well for you. I would like more next year too. The Calendula with red reverse is very pretty, maybe it will self-sow too. I grew Leycesteria formosa, but the deer wouldn't leave it alone. Yours is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your blooms - especially the dahlia and calendula! My flower beds are horribly lacking in interest this month. I must take notes this Bloom Day on what's blooming in other gardens to remedy this problem for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you named your Magnolia Mopsy! You have so many pretty things still adorning your expansive garden (she says with a tinge of envy). The color of that Calendula is magnificent, and I SO wish I had room for a Leycesteria. Happy GBBD, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the bloom tour! It makes me say "Oh, I have that" , and "Oh, I wish I had that".

    ReplyDelete
  12. The ever popular Echinacea - I just wish they liked my garden. Your garden is floral treat right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know how you feel. I probably have roughly the same amount of flowers spread out over 2 acres, not counting the 3 acres that are left as natural woods. It looks empty until you go out and take the time to really look at everything you have.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a beautiful garden!

    Thanks for sharing this post and giving me the idea to also participate!

    I just started a new blog last week about gardening and crafting. You are always welcome visit if you want.

    Greetings, Sofie
    http://sofies-succulent-beads.blogspot.be/2015/09/garden-bloggers-bloom-day-september-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Envious of your Echinacae, I think the species is the answer, newer varieties don't last here. Love your golden Leycesteria, we have the ordinary green leaved one, your golden one would make a nice contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful blooms, many of them looking a bit exotic to my eyes. Love the Cyclamen, Berkheya, and Clematis tangutica.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need that Clematis in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.