Monday, June 15, 2015

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, June, 2015

I've already highlighted a handful of delightful flowers that have bloomed in my garden this June -- Magnolia macrophylla, Eschscholzia californica (California poppies), Nigella damascenaCardiocrinum giganteum, and Itoh peony 'Cora Louise.'

Here's a look at the rest that are blooming this month.

After repotting, one of my Brugmansias has produced its first flower this year.

Going deep

Allium cernuum (Nodding Onion, a native wildflower)

Dichelostemma 'Pink Diamond' (another native)

Dianthus

Honeysuckle

Honeysuckle

Leycesteria formosa (Himalayan Honeysuckle)

Dichelostemma congestum, a PNW native (Forktooth Ookow, a great common name)

Aruncus dioicus (aka Goatsbeard)

Rosa glauca

Peonies lying down on the job

Nicotiana
Many of the lilies in the front garden have started to open. I can't remember names, but if you're really curious, let me know and I'll see if I can track them down.

Lilies and Centaurea dealbata






And in the back garden in a semi-shady spot is the native Lilium columbianum, a tiny flower the size of a demitasse cup.

Peony (possibly Sarah Bernhardt)

Baptisia australis

Baptisia with California poppies and peony

I bought this peach-clolored Foxglove last year, and it came back again this year, but I don't recall the name

Digitalis x mertonensis (Strawberry Foxglove)

My little patch of Castilleja (Indian Paintbrush) is flowering

Castilleja (but I don't know which one)

Penstemon

The flowers on my new Stewartia pseudocamellia are starting to open

Verbascum bombyciferum

Dactylhorizae

Astrantia

Clematis

Clematis (possibly 'Niobe')


Phlomis russeliana (Jerusalem Sage)

Catananche caerulea (Cupid's Dart)

Lobelia tupa, not actually open yet, but full of promise

Philadelphus lewisii (Lewis' mockorange)

Philadelphus lewisii (Lewis' mockorange) smells very sweet, especially when you stick your nose right in it

Hydrangea quercifolia (Oakleaf Hydrangea)

Pink Brugmansia

Carol Michel hosts Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, which happens on the 15th of every month. Check out her post here, where you will find links to garden bloggers all over the world, posting about their flowers.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful selection Alison! Seeing your honeysuckle blooms has reminded me how wonderful their scent are, we have one on bloom and it fills the air with a lovely scent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've a vast amount of blooms Alison, all looking incredibly summery. Your lilies are gorgeous. Those orange poppies really stand out and make a real statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got it going on, Alison! The Brugmansias are stunning...don't you love the Aruncus dioicus and the Hydrangea quercifolia? Some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm drawn to your dark flowers like the Clematis (possibly 'Niobe') and lily #DSC_1752, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh, a happy Lobelia tupa! Must be so much fun to explore your garden every morning now. I'm a big fan of Rosa glauca too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peonies!!! I haven't a prayer of growing the herbaceous varieties and it's clear that my Itoh peony isn't going to bloom this year but hope springs eternal - maybe next year. I'm envious of those Baptisia, Astrantia and Clematis too. Your photo of the Dichelostemma is about to send me on a scavenger hunt to see if any of mine have survived - they surprised me by returning last year but I haven't seen a sign of them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your selection Alison--I hope for a 2016 bloomday with my now infant Lobelia tupa !

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many gorgeous blooms..but the bronze-y lilies are to die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of great blooms! How exciting to have a Castilleja blooming in your garden! I've been wanting to add Lobelia tupa to my garden for years, but haven't decided on a good place for it. Loree and I seem to favor the same two flowers in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many treasures! I love the way the California poppies weave through your front garden. The combination picture (the 21st I think) is so cool and cottage gardenesque. You have way more blooms than I do right now! May is more floriferous in my garden .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful flowers and photos throughout, but I'm with Jenni - those orange/bronzy lilies are scrumptious! And how cool to have Indian paintbrush in your garden! Love seeing them around wet spots on the mountain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have so many lovely blooms, The lovely dark blue of your Baptisia australis with the Californian poppies is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love so many of your selections! Indian Paint Brush has been one of my favorites for years. But you also have lots of surprises: love the Lobelia tupa. Forktooth Ookow is worth growing for the name alone. And you have a magnificent Clematis and wonderful collection of lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have three plants that I plan on purchasing as bulbs this fall: Nodding onion, Dichelostemma congestum and Dichelostemma 'Pink Diamond'. I'm sure hoping my Lobelia tupa will bloom for me. It's very happy with three stems about a foot tall but no buds yet. Dactylhorizae looks very intriguing. You are the queen Alison. I love your gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a feast! Your color combos are stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many good ones in this post! Love the Allium and Astrantia.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.