Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Big Leaf, Big Flower, Big Scent

I was afraid Mopsy, my big-leaf magnolia, would flower while I was away in Southern California. It had produced a big, but still green bud before we left, but fortunately, the weather here was cool and cloudy, and when we returned, the bud had turned white, but still hadn't opened.

Big white bud


But, with our recent warm, sunny weather, it opened last week.

It was really kind of magnificent.

Such a yummy scent!


I wonder if crab spiders have as much of a sense of smell as the bees they lie in wait for. A really tiny crab spider was living in the bloom, hoping for a meal or two. Maybe he got a wasp instead of a sweet little bee.


Mopsy still looks like a mop, but now she has a flower in her hair.

And it was right at eye and nose level. How wonderful is that? Once the tree starts to thrive and takes off, it'll start producing those flowers way up out of reach. So I'm happy about this one, thank you very much.

11 comments:

  1. How funny, is Mopsy the real name of this Magnolia? It really has a lovely big white flower and I can imagine the smell. You are lucky you were home again to see the bud opening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darned nice of Mopsy to wait for your return to boom. Congratuations on your first bloom, may there be many, many more in the years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool it flowered at such a young age, and great timing too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea! I'm glad you got to see the bloom! Magnolias are such beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sight, that huge flower atop that long long stem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When the blooms are high above out of reach the scent will still waft down delightfully. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mopsy is very considerate, unlike my unruly Magnolia grandiflora, which requires a telephoto lens to view properly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that is fun! Such a big flower for such a little tree. Well done, Mopsy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny seeing that huge flower on top of such a small tree! And how cute that such a tiny crab spider chose that over-sized flower for a home. It's like reverse bumblebee syndrome. (Ever noticed how bumblebees tend to go for the smallest flowers?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful, how fantastic that such a large flower is on such a young tree, I can imagine the scent, I think you will be out every day to have your fix!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice of it to hold off until you could enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.