Monday, June 8, 2015

First Daylily of the Summer

My first daylily flower has opened, and I did indeed mean to put summer in the title. Although technically it will still be spring for the next couple of weeks, it sure feels like summer here right now, with temps in the mid-80s and bright sunshine. Air conditioning is not a summer staple in this part of the PNW, so when it gets hot we just have to grin and bear it. It has made sleeping very difficult for the past two nights.

Hemerocallis 'Barbara Mitchell'

I'm thrilled to see that this bloom at least is not afflicted with daylily gall midges. I had to cut and destroy most of my earliest blooms last year in an attempt to cut short their life cycle. I'm going to have to keep an eye on any other early bloomers (the gall midges tend to afflict primarily the earliest flowers). I won't post any photos of affected plants from last year, since I'd like you only to remember the beauty of my 'Barbara Mitchell' flower. But here's a link to some info.

10 comments:

  1. We have declared it summer too.
    Our first dahlia opened today, and so did two huge blooms on the voodoo lily.
    I did not know about this daylily pest. I'll have to watch for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hot!!! 90's for three days in a row. We have air conditioning, but I'm still holding out. Although, with the late evening sun blasting into the front windows was I type, I'm admittedly a wee bit grouchy.
    My one daylily came with the house and it's even, wait for it....Orange! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No kidding! I've not been sleeping either--too hot! But it's been great for the plants, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely peach bloom. I'll have to keep an eye out for that gall midge. The information in the link says early-blooming daylilies are the worst-affected. My lemon daylilies are already past their main bloom. Definitely an early bloomer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We really are on different bloom schedules. My 'Barbara Mitchell' was also among the first of my daylilies to bloom but that happened in April - perhaps the early blooms were a reaction to the March heatwaves. Most of mine have been blooming sporadically (no mass displays) but that may be a reaction to the cooler than normal temps we had going in May and into early June, which came to an abrupt halt today when the heat hit 93 here. Even though we should be used to hot weather, its return is always a slap in the face. I hope your hot spell comes to an end soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your efforts last year must be paying off with this pristine and pretty bloom :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara Mitchel is beautiful! We are troubled with the gall midge too, I just take off the affected buds in the hope that will stop the life cycle of the midge, it seems to work as we have less daylilies affected now.
    Over here, we say summer begins on June 1st !

    ReplyDelete
  8. The deer reliably break off one or two of the bloom stems on my daylily, but leave the rest along...how silly is that? Better than bugs, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara Mitchell is a pretty salmon color, and so ruffly! I'm looking forward to the daylily bloom season. I haven't had trouble with gall midges, I hope they don't come this way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No daylily blooms for me yet but there are buds. Barbara Mitchell is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.