Wednesday, March 25, 2015

And Another Greenhouse Surprise



While moving some plants around, to try to reach my two Begonia boliviensis to see if they have started to emerge from their winter's rest (they have, I found tiny little noses poking out of the pots), I suddenly noticed a plant flowering that I have hardly looked at in months -- my Billbergia nutans, a fabulous Bromeliad with the common name of Queen's Tears. It's been tucked underneath the wire table, behind all the other Bromeliads, which only get watered when the plants above drip on them.

I had to pull it out onto the top of the wire table, so that it could have its moment in the sun -- and in front of the camera.

The foliage looks kind of ratty, but look at all those flowers!




There are even more flowers coming up from the base. Other than completely ignoring it for months, I'm not sure what I did right. But I'm not complaining.

17 comments:

  1. Now that was a wonderful surprise. Those are beautiful. They need a better common name than Queens Tears, something that reflects the joyous colors.

    I finally saw shoots emerging on Calla Lilies, moved them outside where they wouldn't get too warm and squirrels chewed the emerging foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great surprise! Love those bold colors. You know, you are getting me in trouble again with all these neat plants, I want one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh!! that is beautiful!!! congratulations :D!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's a crazy flower! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun surprise! I let mine stay outside one winter when I ran out of space in the house and it still lived but looked so awful that it went on vacation in the compost heap. Yours has rewarded you well with such groovy flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These 'Queen Tears' are really fabulous, such a suprise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the plus side it's reasonably hardy too. Can sail through winters outside here...most winters anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gardening is full of pleasant surprises. Such gorgeous flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ignoring them is probably what you did right! They thrive on neglect (and occasional water).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Center stage...that's the place for this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky! This is one of my favorite bromeliads because it's such a reliable bloomer. Most are slow or never bloom as houseplants. I had the normal form like yours, but I lost it somehow. I have a super small form with narrow leaves, but it hasn't bloomed yet. I need the regular version again. I also saw a variegated form listed somewhere...need to track it down again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that is one of the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen....truly a find in color and form.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have one of these which suffers neglect all year like yours and then suddenly reproaches me by bursting into flower. The flowers really are amazing aren' t they? I wonder why we don' t cherish them more when they are not in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have one of these which suffers neglect all year like yours and then suddenly reproaches me by bursting into flower. The flowers really are amazing aren' t they? I wonder why we don' t cherish them more when they are not in bloom.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.