Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Happy Solstice!

Last week, while preparing a Foliage Followup blog post, I took photos of some of the foliage in my greenhouse. I wasn't sure I'd find enough of interest out in the garden, so I hedged my bets by also focusing my lens on greenhouse plants. But I did get enough good foliage shots outside, so I used those for my FF post here.

I thought as a Winter Solstice celebration, I'd show off the pictures I took in the greenhouse, where it is perpetually growing season (or at least staying-alive season).

Pelargonium sidoides

Agave attenuata 'Kara Stripe'

Echevaria 'Black Prince'

Echevaria

Echevaria

Echium/Star of Madeira

Echium

Like many other gardeners who pay close attention to seasonal changes, I am celebrating the Winter Solstice today, the day of the year with the shortest amount of daylight. Yes, it means tomorrow is the first full day of winter, but it also means the amount of daylight again begins to lengthen.

Happy Solstice!

13 comments:

  1. Happy Solstice indeed!
    I am coveting that Echium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted about Solstice today too. I am celebrating that it stopped raining for at least our few daylight hours today!
    Great photos! Happy Solstice to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Solstice, Alison! I'm so happy for the days to start lengthening!
    I'm really loving your Echium and Pelargonium sidoides.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some stunning photos here. I love every change in the seasons and I love the ability to grow 'under glass' to stretch the growing times..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Spending as much time in the garden as I do now, I really resent those short days. Your Echium looks much better than mine, which spent a few water-deprived months sitting in temporary housing before finding a new spot in my front garden. I love Echeveria 'Black Prince' too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Echium, the Pride of Madeira, I suppose you look forward to see their wonderful blue flowers. I´m a follower of the seasons, but nevertheless I like it when the days are lenthening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Solstice to you too Alison :) and great shots too especially the Pelargonium!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Solstice Alison. Look at the gloss on the foliage of Echevaria Black Prince - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alison your photos are wonderful and the lush foliage is such a treat! Happy Holidays and a wonderful New Year is wished for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beauuutiful, Alison. Just lovely. Happy Solstice and Birthday to YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great foliage shots! It's great to have an indoor space to enjoy beautiful foliage all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely foliage and lovely photos. Happy solstice and happy Xmas Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alison, I've nominated you for a Liebster Award - you can find out more on my latest blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.