Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Foliage Followup -- December 2014

There's plenty of interesting foliage in my garden, despite our recent freezing weather interspersed with rain and powerful wind. For this month's Foliage Followup post, I went out hunting for winter interest, even though it isn't technically winter yet. When I lived in Massachusetts, where the garden is buried for most of the winter under a blanket of snow, I never understood the concept. Now I do.

The top of Tetrapanax papyrifera 'Steroidal Giant' has one leaf covered in orange powder.

My Eucalyptus has put on quite a lot of growth in its first year, and was unfazed by the recent cold. I wish I could remember which one it is. I bought it this past spring at Xera on one of my trips to Portland. It might be E. subcrenulata.

I love its red stems and leaves that clasp the stem.

Pinus sylvestris 'Nisbet's Gold' is starting to put on its winter-time yellow glow.


Sedum 'Angelina' and Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens' aka black mondo grass are great companions.

Sedum 'Angelina' planted in the shelter of the concrete wall has much more of a rosy glow.

Carex testacea is looking mighty orange.

As is Libertia peregrinans

Euphorbia covered in dew


Soon this year's well worn Epimedium foliage will get cut back to the ground.

I didn't realize till I looked through my lens that the growth tips on Hydrangea quercifolia have a powdery orange coating, similar to that of Tetrapanax or certain Rhodies.

Some of the leaves have finally started to turn, although most usually just dry up and wither.

Cyclamen hederifolium is another great foliage plant for winter.


Chaemacyparis nootkatensis was one of the first trees I planted here 5 years ago. I love its pendulous branches.

Although technically not foliage, the spent flowers of Eutrochium/Joe Pye Weed will persist till I cut them down.

This large Douglas fir limb came down in our recent windstorm. Last weekend Nigel helped me move it from here onto our patio, where it's now waiting to be chopped up and put in our yard waste bin.

Here is the detritus of last week's wind and rain. Picture this a million times over, everywhere in my garden.

Pam at the blog Digging hosts Foliage Followup every month on the day after Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, for the purpose of glorifying foliage, the workhorse of the garden all the time, but especially in winter. Check out her FF post here, where other bloggers leave links to their posts in the comments.