Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Encounter With a Hummingbird

The other day while out taking photos of the first snow in my garden, I discovered a hummingbird feasting on the Mahonia 'Charity' that is growing in the back northeast corner of the garden, underneath a cluster of Douglas firs. I managed to creep up on it, although I'm pretty sure it knew I was there, and leaned around the trunk of one of the Douglas firs with my camera to take some photos. I had also recently figured out that if I hold the shutter down on the camera, it will take photos in quick succession, which I did, hoping at least one would result in a good photo. This is the closest I've ever been to a hummer with my camera. It was actually moving rather slowly for a hummingbird, stopping often to alight on a branch where it could feed without expending energy. Picasa turned that series of photos into a little movie, which allowed me to share that magical moment with you.


20 comments:

  1. Wow, that's pretty darn cool! I am in awe of your blooming Charity and may it continue to grow and bloom every year! My Mahonias buds always get hammered by frost and freeze. Maybe the secret is as you have done and to plant them as an understory shrub. Thanks for sharing your experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful little movie Alison! It's so special that you have hummingbirds all year in your area. I love that Picasa feature and now that you know how easy it is I hope we'll see more.

    This would be a good post to link up with Wildlife Wednesday.
    http://mygardenersays.com/2014/12/03/wildlife-wednesday-december-2014/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hummingbird video is wonderful, Alison! I was surprised to see one of my resident hummingbirds in the front garden in the pouring rain early this morning. The sweet creatures work whether there's sunshine, rain - or snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's brilliant Alison, I so envy you your hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good things DO come in small packages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is SO cool! I use Picassa, too, but had no idea you could do that. Clearly I need to figure it out! Our little hummer has been around the last few days as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Picasa has done its magic again. Lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is lovely, Alison and how clever to be able to use the picassa. Your Mahonia looks lovely iced with frost and how wonderful to have a hummingbird enjoying the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really am going to have to get some 'Charity', how very exciting to get close photos of the hummer. They love my runner beans in the summer but I don't have anything for them now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Alison! For someone like me that has never seen a hummingbird, seeing it in your garden with the Mahonia really puts it too scale and therefore I have a better understanding of size now thanks to you.
    Well done on getting it - personally, I'd have probably tripped over something and frightened it away.
    Charity, it seems, really does begin at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely to see! 'Charity' is a winner in so many ways. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ni-ii-ce!I still remember the hummingbirds I saw one election day, since it was also snowing in wind-blown flurries in my neighborhood, but warm and sunny just miles away. Great capture...I shall do such a video someday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it!!! hummingbirds are just magical!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how wonderful to see this in December...great shots.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.