Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- October 2014

It's Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, and I am back to posting lots of photos. Last month was a bit of an anomaly, I posted one photo only for GBBD and FF because I was just a bit pressed for time. Anyway, I'm now back to cataloging what's blooming this month. There's still plenty of flowers out there, although it doesn't seem like it when I look out the window. So far we haven't had as much rain as I expect here for October. But it's in the forecast.

Abutilon NOID (I have the tag somewhere in my vast collection of tags, but hunting it down is more work than I want to do)

Abutilon 'Red Tiger'

Pelargonium sidoides

Pelargonium NOID (Ditto above tag comment)

Sedum 'Autumn Joy'

Catananche caerulea

The papery buds of Catananche are fab too

Lowly Nasturtiums

I love the ones whose throats are splashed with color -- guidelines for pollinators


Bedding Dahlia

Aster

Look how the petals curl up when the flower is done!

Another Aster that is just loaded with tiny flowers, and bees in a feeding frenzy

A second, similar one in the back garden doesn't seem to attract as many bees.


Castor bean flower stalk

Castor bean pods, which will eventually split and spill the beans into the bed

Cardoon flower

Calendula 'Solar Flashback'

I got a variety of colors from the same batch of seeds

Love that deep red on the reverse of the petals.

Brugmansia

Arbutus unedo 'Compacta'

Delosperma

Another Delosperma with tiny, dainty flowers

Begonia sutherlandii (Orange Hardy Begonia)

Sheffield Pink Chrysanthemum has just started flowering.


Chocolate Joe Pye Weed -- A bright punch of white that you can see from across the garden

Dicentra formosa reblooming

One last Castilleja

Echeveria

Echeveria

I hope wherever you are, that you are having fair weather, and still have plenty of flowers in your garden!

GBBD is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens. Check out her post here and see who else around the world is posting pictures of their blooms.

18 comments:

  1. With you selection of fab blooms you wouldn't think it's autumn already :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Begonia sutherlandii and Pelargonium sidoides - Alison, I bought those two exact plants at the HPSO sale last month. Great minds?? Love your photos and blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL! I now find that I need to add Abutilon to the list of plant possibilities for my new space (if it's ever ready to plant, that is).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So many great plants in bloom. Great photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheffield Pink could get me loving Mums again..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such bounty for so late in the season. Next year...Abutilons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your photos. I think I need to get another Sheffield Pink. I had one years ago but I let it die. Yours is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's fun to see that chrysanthemum in bloom. It was full of buds when we were there. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of flowers in your October garden! Your comment about the castor beans seeds "spilling" reminds me of a day a couple of weeks ago when I was sitting in the patio with friends. The sun was shining and it was a lovely 80ish degrees. We kept hearing a loud pop and finally a pop followed by a small seed landing on the table in front of us. The castor bead pods were being heated but the sun and bursting open, then flying a good 10 feet in either direction. I can't wait to see what spring brings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have so many lovely flowers, it doesn't look like autumn at all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an array of flowers you have Alison. I especially love the Abutilon and the simple nasturtiums.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd be hard pushed to guess what month of the year it was in your garden if I hadn't saw the title Alison. You've a wonderful array of blooms.
    Have just fallen for the Begonia - that colour would fit right into my front garden plans. I note you said it was hardy - I checked the RHS website and it's given an H2 rating over here. I must keep an eye out for it next year in the GC.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's wonderful how many flowers you have and while they're all beautiful, those nasturtiums are so vibrant and happy looking. I must remember to include them next year. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice blooms Alison! Are you going to dig up the Pelargonium sidoides or take a chance and leave it outside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to dig up the sidoides (actually I have two of them), and overwinter them inside the greenhouse. I did that last winter, and it worked wonderfully. They kind of limp through the winter, but when spring comes, they have a bit of a head start.

      Delete
    2. Good info, thanks. This is the first winter for my plant so I'll follow your lead. When I have more plants I'll experiment!

      Delete
  15. What a wonderful array of blooms! I especially like the two abutilon and the Pelargonium sidoides. I'm impressed that you have Castileja. It's not a common plant in gardens. Do you have it planted near some ornamental grasses or in a meadow area? Everything I've read about them says they are partially parasitic on grasses and do best when partnered with one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've decided there's no such thing as a lowly plant. Trends will come and go, but the miracle of a bloom in the garden will never be less than amazing to me.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.