Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Fall Garden Bloggers Plant Exchange

Peter The Outlaw Gardener and I have been honorary Portland Bloggers for a couple of years now, I think, and have been to a handful of their twice yearly plant exchanges. I have a number of plants thriving in my garden that I never would have considered growing, thanks to these exchanges and the very friendly and knowledgeable bloggers who attend them. This fall, Peter and I decided to offer to host the exchange up here in Washington.  We were originally planning to meet at my garden for lunch and to exchange plants, and then head over to Peter's for dessert and to check out his fabulous garden. But because of the construction going on at his place, turning his garage into a greenhouse, Peter had to bow out of the hosting duties.

Fortunately, he still showed up to be supportive, because this was the first get-together I have hosted in years, and except for Peter (and Nigel, of course), no other gardeners have seen my garden. It was both exciting and scary! I was a bit torn about my duties as garden host -- I could do the Vanna White thing and parade around the garden, pointing out the best parts, or I could just let people take it in on their own. Fortunately, I opted for letting them make the rounds on their own. I would have ended up apologizing for its shortcomings (or what I perceive as its shortcomings), and that just wouldn't do. I put Nigel in charge of taking photos and he did a great job!

Peter checking out the old cello that Laura brought for him. It's no longer useful as an instrument, and a friend or neighbor was throwing it out!

Laura of Gravy Lessons and Linda of Linda Letters

Matthew, The Lents Farmer, and Jenni, the Rainy Day Gardener

Jane, the MulchMaid and Matthew

Peter chats with Linda and her husband Tom

Jenni, the Rainy Day Gardener

An out of focus Jane, the MulchMaid

Anna of Flutter and Hum

Loree of Danger Garden

Tom and Linda contemplate trying a new-to-them kind of Digitalis

Bloggers contemplate the offerings of Ricki (Sprig to Twig) which Loree kindly brought up for her. They do all rather look like they expect the plants to attack at any moment. Either that, or it's ready, set, grab!

It was great to have so many bloggers all gathered together here in my garden. I had a blast, and I hope they did too!

22 comments:

  1. It look fun and nice to see so many familiar faces again. It looks like a mini version of the Portland fling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking along the same lines as Mark and Gaz ... I recognize many of those faces! So glad y'all were able to do this and bravo to you for sharing your garden with them :-) It's scary to do but oh, so rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you didn't do the 'Vanna tells all' thing and point out the things people would not notice otherwise.

    It looks as if everybody had a good time and plants were exchanged -- love the 'ready, set, go' photo where they're about to scramble for Rikki's plants. I'm still waiting to see the food.

    I hope Peter uses that Cello as a prop in his music room and doesn't put it outside in the weather with ceramic bits all over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never fear Jean! It's too beautiful to mosaic! We tuned it, played it a little & it will go in the music room!

      Delete
  4. I realized when reading Peter's post yesterday that I never did make it across the grass to check out the plants along the far fence! I spent all my time checking out the gravel garden and new plantings out front. Thanks for hosting Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good group you had over; I enjoy plant exchanges. Even in a wet winter climate, how an outlaw sees a dry garage better to overwinter plants than keep a car dry, is amazing. All that fresh green is perfect to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many swell people shots. Nigel did a bang-up job. And our Loree even seems to be getting less camera-shy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not used to seeing myself in photos on someone else's blog! Kinda' fun.
    I can't believe this is the first time you have shown your garden! Well, get used to it. It is going to be a show place for sure. Next up, NPA Open garden.
    Thank you so much for inviting us. We had a great time seeing your garden in person and meeting so many plant people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shucks ! I want to be an honorary Portland Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make the trip to a plant swap and you're in Kathy!

      Delete
  9. I believe in the final photo, everyone is being too polite to grab all the plants. I wish I could have been there. Although my garden divisions are paltry this year, it will probably be 2 years before my garden has recovered enough to have spare plants for a swap. Still it looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for opening your gorgeous garden to us and hosting the plant exchange. I loved all the touches of humor. Nigel took great shots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Favorite people and plants... what a delightful mix!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun. Did you get some cool plants? Your garden looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We did a Spring swap but never considered a Fall swap. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was brave of you but worth it! It's always good to have new people see your garden. Looks like a successful event.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh you are so lucky to have so many folks close by to meet up like that...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great picture of your garden even if Jane is out of focus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your garden looked stunning as always! You were a great host and everyone had a great time! Thanks again for hosting and for being so understanding about my bailing! The greenhouse will be completely finished on Friday (cross fingers) after the carpenter and electrician come. All that will be left is to install a piece of glass in the door (my job) and it'll be good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You guys have so much fun!!!! what a lovely gardeners community!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had the opportunity to meet many of these peeps in Portland a few months ago. Such a happy and energetic bunch!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.