A week after the swap, I started sorting out the inside of the greenhouse, cutting the tomatoes down and saving as many large green ones as possible, and moving the pots of soil they were growing in out. Last year I reused the soil for seed starting, but I may not do that this year. I think it may be one reason some of my seedlings didn't thrive as well as they should have. It may just end up in the compost bins.
I've moved my metal shelving unit, which was the summer home for my Bromelaids and some of my seedlings, located on the somewhat shady north side of the greenhouse, back inside, and bought a second one. Then I moved many of my drought tolerant plants in pots, Agaves, Aloes, tender succulents, etc., inside and onto the shelves. I've made a good amount of progress, but I still have a long way to go. And already real estate inside is getting precious.
|The greenhouse in afternoon sun, seen from the front door|
|On the north side of the greenhouse, a collection of plant stands, seedlings, and perennials destined for the front garden.|
|Seedlings still unplanted in the garden, from last winter's sowing.|
|Just inside the greenhouse door, on the left hand side. The small white metal box on the wooden stand in the right lower corner of the picture is the heater, not really in use quite yet, but it has to have a spot.|
|The second metal shelving unit, not quite full yet, and several potted plants to the right of it, including a lime tree given to me at the swap.|
|My Manfreda (probably Macho Mocha, but untagged when bought), is producing pups galore.|
|The bottom shelf of one of the shelving units|
|There's still room for a few more plants on the wire table, but I'd like to leave room for me to work there too.|
|Bromeliads and a couple of Begonia boliviensis tucked underneath the table. When I water the plants on the table, they will get dripped on, which should be just the right amount of water.|
|This stripey Vriesea started to produce a flower earlier this summer, but then fell off the shelf it was on and the stalk was snapped off. Now it looks like it might be making pups.|
|And there are four nice-size pups in the pot with this bloomed-out Aechmea. I'm not sure at what point I should separate them from the mother plant and pot them up.|
|There's still plenty of room here to the right of the wire table, but there are still many large pots that need to find a home.|
And three pots full of assorted succulents that spend the summer on top of the gabions in the gravel garden.
And two huge pots of Cannas.
|And one Echium|
|A banana and an Astelia|
|An Abutilon, that I need to somehow clean the aphids off.|
I'd also like to take apart these pots and pot up many of the inhabitants separately for over-wintering.
|'Miss Andrea' Cordyline, looking a bit under the weather|
|Two Pelargonum sidoides, which over-wintered last year and thrived once they were brought back outside.|
|Each of those stalks bore many, many pretty flowers over the summer|
|I have two 'Cha Cha' Cordylines that I want to save|
|And a small Loropetalum called 'Carolina Midnight'|
|And this Begonia luxurians|