Thursday, August 14, 2014

My (Least) Favorite Plant in the Garden...

..is this stupid thistle, a weed!


Do Not Want!

I've tried to dig this out three or four times this season, and I don't just mean with a hand trowel. I've dug down a foot deep to get a big root ball with a full-size shovel, and it keeps coming back.

I've learned to appreciate spiky, spiny plants from Loree at Danger Garden, but I hate this dang thing. I did a little research about thistles, and the recommendation I've seen is to let it start to flower, and then pull it. Supposedly, letting it put effort into producing a flower will weaken it enough that when you pull it, it will die at the roots.

I hope so.

Check out the blog Danger Garden to find favorite plant posts from other bloggers who will be in a much better gardening mood than me.

11 comments:

  1. Good luck with the whole "letting it go to flower" thing. I got these thistles, too, after I mulched with fresh straw. They are really persistent...come back from every tiny scrap of root. I managed to subdue the ones that are coming up in open soil but they keep repopulating from roots that are protected by the house foundation or coming out from under my neighbor's path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ouch factor of weeding. Good gloves and will power to pull these suckers!

    I think the secret is never let it see a Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the end justifies the means and a little dab of weed killer is called for. Use a disposable paint brush or something similar and protect the surrounding plants with cardboard or paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it sounds feasible.. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weeds are so sneaky - and tenacious. Good luck eradicating it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one pernicious weed. That would aggravate the heck (normally I wouldn't say heck but something a bit stronger) out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Napalm! If you haven't any of that on hand, perhaps torching the thing would work. No need to buy one of those fancy flame weed burners, just use whatever torch or flame thrower you might have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, at least the thistle flowers are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see what the flower looks like, maybe it will be so beautiful you'll want to keep it! Ha, I know, not likely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The flowers are cute and also very fragrant, actually used for perfume somewhere. When I moved into my 2 acres I had big sheets of thistle blooming I had to battle, and still fight it coming up in remote or crowded places, a few in my lawn even. I have to try to keep any from going to seed. One theory is to pull it seven times in one season to get rid of it. I try to pull them when I see them. If you only have one you could blanket that area in heavy cardboard to deprive it of light.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.