Saturday, August 16, 2014

Foliage Followup -- Quick and Dirty

For Foliage Followup I've decided to focus on my little forest of Ricinus communis 'New Zealand Purple.' For a good part of the spring and early summer they were pretty small, but they have really loved both the heat we've gotten recently, as well as the water they've been getting, cause they have just exploded in growth. This is one area, newly planted, that I set up a sprinkler on a timer for. I wanted to make sure everything got well watered in and taken care of that week when we were away in Massachusetts.


Ricinus communis 'New Zealand Purple' with Tetrapanax 'Steroidal Giant'

Pam at the blog Digging is the host for Foliage Followup, which takes place every month on the day after Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. Check out her post here where other bloggers leave links to their own foliage posts in the comments.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a beauty Allison. Do you think you could save me some seeds from that one? I love that beautiful color

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ricinus is a really tropical look. I will fool around and not plant any until my seeds are too old to germinate.

    My Follow-up discusses my variegated Hydrangea and yours. Did you have the name of yours? I've been guessing 'Mariesii variegata' as mine for years. Is your foliage really as yellow as in the Bloom Day photo? The blossoms look about the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful foliage! Love the picture with the tetrapanax!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice combo the Tetrapanax and Ricinus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always sigh when I see Ricinus in a garden and yours looks especially healthy and happy. It's poisonous nature has kept me from planting it thus far, although I certainly know that it isn't poisonous to the touch...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful contrast, they look so good together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alison I always find you growing such unusual plants...I have never heard of Ricinus communis 'New Zealand Purple.' I really like the foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As the mother of all castor beans (from the swap) you deserve to have greater success than the rest of us. Mine is pretty and healthy but not very big. I hope it will set seed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep. They really do like water. Yours are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.