Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Witch Hazel Blooming

I considered making this a Wordless Wednesday post, but given the tendency of gardeners to natter on about plants, I decided against it. Over the past month, since our week-long+ Deep Freeze, I've mostly been trying to ignore my garden, the way many people avert their eyes at the dreadful stuff in a horror movie, or at the scene of an accident. But this morning I gave in and did a quick stroll, mostly to look at my Mahonia x media 'Charity.' Until I ventured out I thought it was the only flowering plant.

What a surprise I found out there! My witch hazel, which I think is Hamamelis x intermedia 'Jelena,' was flowering. (I could take some time to hunt down the tag in my many ziploc bags o' tags, but then I might not finish this post till spring.)

Just one of several flowering limbs

You might remember my post about the glorious autumn foliage on this plant, which you can read here. A November windstorm had blown all the leaves off it and I ran out to gather them up from the ground to save them. I still have them strewn across the bureau in my guest room. Although they are curled up and crispy, they are still very colorful. I also mentioned in that post that I had found lots of flower buds on the tree, and was looking forward to seeing it bloom in the winter.

Wow, is it ever!



What a payoff. I am so pleased.

23 comments:

  1. Cool. I just stood up and looked out the window where ours is located in the front winter garden, but no, no blooms have emerged yet. there are lots of fat buds though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, Alison...I'm such a sucker for Witch Hazels :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so pretty in the foreground of your stream. I don't have that variety...only the native. And so far, after 3 years, neither one has yet given me a single bloom (in the fall). How nice to see winter blooms on yours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pleasant surprise! I'm encouraged that spring won't be a slow start :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How great to have something blooming, I've been wanting a witch hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's absolutely gorgeous! A great photograph. Jelena always seems to be one of the first to flower. It's one of my favourites. I' m so glad that you have emerged from your Deep Freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat photos… I have a couple of witch hazels as well, including a Jelena…they don't always bloom well as the extreme cold sometimes gets the flower buds… your post gives me hope that we will get some bloom on ours come April! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glorious! I have an H vernalis, but it is still only knee high.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, now I think it's time to add one to my garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I want to add an orange witch hazel to my garden this year! I admired the foliage of 'Diane' last fall and think that's the one I'll look for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! I want to add an orange witch hazel to my garden this year! I admired the foliage of 'Diane' last fall and think that's the one I'll look for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to seek out 'Jalena'. I have 'Diane' and its thread-like petals are stubby by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful - all the more so because of the surprise! If I grew witch hazel (I just don't have the room) it would be this one. I love that burnt orange bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are making me revisit whether I have space for a witch hazel. That coloring is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A witch hazel in flower, with no leaves, how wonderful! There used to be a 'Ruby Glow' at the JC Raulston Arboretum was covered ered in beautiful red flowers in winter. I don't know if the staff removed the leaves or they came off on their own. That tree had gorgeous red fall color too. I have a seedling of 'Jelena' that has fragrant yellow flowers and great fall colors but boy does it hold onto those leaves! lol Love it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've recently purchased Jelena - I had been after her for a while. She's a beauty isn't she? Thank you for taking a wee stroll and sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everyone has witch hazels blooming. I don't own one so I'm in the minority and feeling slightly jealous. And your garden is hardly a horror story. Silly girl!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How wonderful to see something in bloom already. I love that witch-hazel, the color is gorgeous. And speaking of gorgeous, reading through the posts I've missed, I was so happy to see you! I love your hair dyed or not, it's beautiful. I haven't dyed mine or cut the mop, so it's quite white. A few people make comments when they see me, one male acquaintance said I'd look so much better if I wasn't going gray, but that's his problem, lol. Congratulations on your weight loss, what an accomplishment, you look wonderful.

    That new greenhouse is going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.