Monday, November 4, 2013

Wind and Leaves

We had a very windy day and  night over the weekend. I woke on Saturday morning to a sound like critters racing thunderously across my roof, but it was just tree debris being blown around. I took a look outside and saw the tops and branches of my Douglas firs sashaying like a square dancer. Lots of smaller branches came down in the beds, and copious amounts of needles and cones.

I saw that the wind had blown all the turning leaves off most of my deciduous trees and shrubs, including the bright orange and yellow foliage from my Hamamelis that just a few days ago was glowing like a lit lamp in the sunshine (See pictures here). I threw on some clothes and ran out to gather them up, then spread them out on my kitchen counter to dry off.

And take pictures, of course.





I decided to arrange some of them on a piece of 8X11 printer paper, taping down the stem end and layering them.

Taken with the camera

The same arrangement of leaves taken with the scanner

After scanning them, I carefully removed them from the piece of paper, so that I could leave them artfully strewn across one of the bureaus in my guest bedroom.



And I couldn't help noticing when I was outside picking up the leaves in the beginning, that my now-naked Hamamelis has lots of flower buds, which bodes well for the tree in late winter. (Last year there were three flowers.) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all these flower buds open.

Just one cluster -- there are lots more!

10 comments:

  1. Wow Alison love the scanned photo, it would beautiful framed. Great idea, thank you for sharing it. Hope you have a great day. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. How disappointing to lose the glowing with hazel leaves just as they were at their fall best. But you made good artistic use of them! I'll want to see those sweet little buds open on your plant at the end of winter. My hamamelis plants have been such a disappointment in flowering -- yes I get tiny flowers every year, but they are so small as to look stunted actually, and there are only a handful and they have little fragrance. But I have hopes for this year!

    I love your beautiful leaf arrangements on the bureau!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fleeting is the beauty of autumn, especially with a windstorm like we had! Love the scanned image. What a great way to remember special leaves! Hope your back is continuing to heal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great how you scanned the beautifully coloured hazel leaves and all the promising buds on the shrub. Following this, enjoying is looking ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kid in me dictates that I continue to pick up pretty leaves, always thinking that I will do something artistic with them. Your follow-through is inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! I hate it when that happens...just when the fall color is looking amazing, we'll have a really windy day and everything stands naked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt your disappointment at losing all those glorious leaves overnight but you certainly made lemonade out of lemons, first with the beautiful pictures, and then as bedside decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's what's so wonderful about gardening here in the coastal PNW. As the lovely leaves fly away, there are buds to give us hope of what's to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love those pictures of the witch hazel leaves. Spicebush also blooms in early spring, and you can see the tiny buds all along the stems at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the leaves. The scanner seemed to capture them best. I remember staying at a friend's house one fall; she had scattered autumn leaves in drifts all around the edges of her guest room. It was magical.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.