Monday, January 20, 2014

In The Pink

A couple of days ago, as I was looking over my tender plants that are overwintering indoors on my coffee table, I spied a little flash of pink. What's this? The Billbergia nutans aka Queen's Tears that I bought late in the summer is producing a flower! I admit, it doesn't look like much yet, but just wait. Check out this link from San Marcos Growers to see what that slender flower bud will eventually look like.


I can't remember the last time I visited a nursery. My semi-weekly lunch at the Windmill Gardens Bistro doesn't count if I don't actually go into the nursery. So I had a hard time resisting a flowering Bromeliad a few days ago when Nigel and I made a quick visit to our local Lowe's. It was sitting right near the door on a table, and only $14.98. Who can resist? Making puppy eyes at Nigel, I snatched it up and hugged it close.





I don't know enough about Bromeliads to be positive about its name. But the label says "Bromelaid Fasciata" and a quick Google search leads me to think it is Aechmea fasciata. I've read that many Bromeliads are monocarpic, meaning they die after flowering, but then produce offsets. So maybe there will be more of these in my future. Wouldn't that be cool?

13 comments:

  1. More of a good thing is never a bad thing :) With such a lovely flower no wonder you couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got an adopted Bromeliad of some sort…never blooms , but aways produces offsets

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would have been silly to pass that gorgeous plant by, just the thing to brighten up the last part of January. Also I would be surprised if your Billbergia nutans didn't start pushing out even more blooms. In my experience where there is one there is usually always more...yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Work those feminine wiles, girlfriend! A beautiful Bromeliad! Now you can say, "I'm just hanging out with my bros!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now why don't I ever find anything that cool at the HD? Nice score!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Bromeliad will certainly keep you entertained until the Queen's Tears begin to spill over, but then...oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Queen's Tears - completely new to me, but oh, what a bloom! Please show us yours when it opens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a hard time passing by the plants at HD, too. I think your bromeliad is fantastic, what a color. You have so many amazing and completely-new-to-me plants, it's always a treat to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing about Bromeliads is, you can buy the affordable bitty ones at HD and they grow into huge things, bloom, and produce offsets before they die, so there are always more. More -- the gardener's dream.

      Delete
  9. I tend to avoid houseplants although they are fun to admire in the nursery. A fellow Portland blogger needs some design/plant advice. Check out Susie's blog at http://www.life-change-compost.com/ :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pleasant surprise. And pink too. And you found a real gem at Lowe's didn't you. Good eye!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The flowers of Bilbergia nutans are so pretty. This plant is as tough as old boots and survives all kinds of neglect. Last year I forgot to bring it in and it spent a very cold winter in an unheated greenhouse. It needed a bit of tidying up but now it looks great and has several buds.
    That's a lovely Bromeliad.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.