Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Friday, November 1, 2013

The Great Fall Migration

Somehow this year I ended up with quite a few more plants that are not hardy enough to leave outside all winter, that must be overwintered inside. Last weekend Nigel helped me carry in a bunch of larger plants out of the gravel garden and into the south-facing window in my dining room. It's about time we gave the banana some company.

Two small Begonia boliviensis, a succulent dish, and a couple of Agaves, including the Agave attenuata that I bought in San Francisco during the Fling, have taken up prime real estate on top of the dining room table.

Between the table and the south-facing window, Agave 'Baccarat,' Dyckia 'Precious Metal,' Agave 'Blue Glow,' Aloe glauca and Mangave 'Macho Mocha,' and an array of smaller plants on the window sill.


'Baccarat,' which I bought at the Northwest Flower and Garden Show last February, may actually be hardy in the ground here, but I never planted it. The rule of thumb is that plants in containers are less hardy than in the ground, so for safety's sake, I've brought it in.

Aloe glauca flower

The east-facing window above my kitchen sink is also home to a large handful of plants and various cuttings

Starting Coleus cuttings in water worked really well last winter, so I'm trying it again

This Echeveria, possibly 'Black Prince,' got quite tall in its nursery pot in the gravel garden, tall and top-heavy enough that it just flopped over. So I cut the top off, stripped some of the leaves, and I'm having a go at rooting it in cactus soil. I only left about a half-inch or so of stem beneath that rosette, because according to what I've read that's all you need.

Echeveria cuttings



Begonias and Bromelaids are lined up on the coffee table in the living room, in the weaker light of a west-facing window.




A pair of Elephant Ears sit in the tub of the upstairs guest bathroom. They were bought for a container and then never used, so even though I could just buy new ones next spring, I'm going to try to give them a chance at next year's glory by overwintering them.


The guest bathroom with its skylight is one of the brightest rooms in the house, so it's also home to a handful of small succulent pots

The guest bedroom too

My smaller potted Agaves are still outside on the front porch in an experimental setup. They'll get their very own post.