Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Today's Big Adventure -- In Which I Buy Some Pot!

I mentioned in a previous post that I've been haunting craigslist lately, buying pots for the garden. Most of them have been small enough that I have been able to handle them easily. Today, I bought an enormous one, and I had to drive all the way to West Seattle to pick it up! That's about 30 miles on highway, and once we got there, Nigel and the woman selling it had to wrestle it down a flight of stairs, and then into the back of our teeny-tiny Prius.

The great green whale peers out at us from the back of the car

And it didn't fit, at least not with the hatch closed. Good thing the car has proper tie-downs. We scored some free rope and a towel to protect the back window on the car. With the help of my very patient, supportive and indulgent husband, who knows how to tie proper knots, we got it home, and out of the car in one piece.

Good thing I had some bags of soil in the car, we wedged them under it to keep it from rocking. I don't think we had to worry really, it barely moved all the way home.

The mighty Nigel with his quarry!

What do you think of this spot in front of one of the gabions?

You have to admit -- that is definitely some pot!

13 comments:

  1. That is a serious pot acquiring adventure! I love it! It looks great by the gabions and with smaller sized pots. But the real question is Alison..what are you going to put in it?!! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni, I'm not sure what I'm going to put in it yet. If it holds water, I might use it for a water feature. If not, then maybe another agave and some grasses and sedums spilling over the edge.

      Delete
  2. Alison,
    This is huge! We just added 9 large earthware pots to our garden for $125 Bet you got a great deal!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love large pots like that, there's so much you can do with them! I have three here sitting on the back deck, awaiting inspiration (we'd used them to hold our bare root fruit trees before planting. I really love the Gabions, where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, the contractor who has been working on my gravel garden built/welded them together and then took them to be powder-coated. All I did was show him a picture of the one that is in Lorene Forkner's garden, and he duplicated it.

      Delete
  4. Ooh it is all looking so lovely in your garden - I cant wait to see what you do with the new pot, although it looks quite pretty just standing there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAT?!?
    I WANT one of those rock towers!!
    A gazillion years ago on Garden Junk I started talking about them. Of course mine would never have turned out as FREAKING BEAUTIFUL as those!!

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE them.
    (and now I know they have a name)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my that is a fabulous pot, while worth all the effort of getting it home. What are you going to put in it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Jiminy Cricket! I hadn't thought of looking on craigslist for containers. I would love some large ones but will not shell out the money they want for them. It looks very nice where you have it placed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha Ha! Love the post title. At least the pot you bought was legal!
    That is a great one, it's really big. I hadn't thought about Craigslist either for that type of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is a great pot! I love where you put it and can't wait to see what you plant in it.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a hoot and that is an outstanding pot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you to score such a cool pot! Thirty miles, ha! Living out in the country it is normal to have to travel lots of miles. To go into town and back is 30 miles. Each trip is carefully plotted out to make the most of it.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.