Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fertilizer Friday -- Stargazer Lilies, Dahlias and Others

I have some flowers to flaunt for Fertilizer Friday! So let's get busy!

This Primrose is still green and flowering in my garden. That should give you some idea just how cool our summer has been.

Liatris in the back garden is flowering, although the one in the front is done.




Echinacea 'After Midnight' is flowering, love those dark stems!

Coreopsis 'Red Shift' has just started flowering. This is a tall, sturdy perennial Coreopsis.


The outer edges of the petals are actually much more yellow than the picture. As the fall weather cools, the flower should shift to all red.


My Lobelia cardinalis looks good with the dark foliage of Chocolate Joe-Pye Weed behind it.


Red is such a difficult color to capture, it always looks so bright. I know there are tricks, someday I'll haul out my camera manual and really learn how to use all my camera's features.

I bought this dark-leaved Angelica back in the spring at one of the spring sales. Now it's flowering.


Like the Lobelia, it also has the dark Joe-Pye leaves behind it.



Another species Echinacea in the sunny perennial bed. It is the only one there, so it gets kind of lost. Next year there will be lots more (at least, that's the current plan).

The single Rudbeckia in the same bed has just started flowering.

I'm wondering if I should just start thinking of this as a fall flower.


Panicum virgatum 'Rotstrahlbusch' is sending up seedheads. Soon the foliage should start to redden.


Snowberry/Symphoricapos albus sports a few of the white berries that give it its common name.




The flowers on this whitish Stokesia laevis 'Mary Gregory' never open any further than this. I'm kind of disappointed in it, I may shovel-prune it.


One of the Dahlias I got at a plant swap this spring is showing off pretty peach-colored flowers.


Love this Dahlia too, it's called 'Arabian Night.'


A long-time favorite, from the very first year I started gardening, my Stargazer lilies are looking and smelling pretty glorious.




Well, that's pretty much it for now. Although we have had some pretty hot days in the 80s lately, and warm nights, I do think the garden is winding down. As I posted previously, I am already thinking about next year!

Check out Tootsie Time's Fertilizer Friday post for lots more pictures of what's flowering all around the world!



16 comments:

  1. Your garden looks great, Alison. Don't you just love Stargazers? You'd think something this exotic-looking would be difficult to grow. Your 'Arabian Night' [minus the K] looks fabulous. I might have to get me one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my gosh beautiful stuff here. I have Stargazers in my FF post as well!

    My liatris is done now, but it's really one of my very favourites. Things are looking good, Bonnie Lass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, Love your stargazer, primrose and coreopsis! My coreopsis and stargazer are long gone...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous array of blooms. The Dahlias and the Coreopsis caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blooms are so pretty Alison.I love your coreopsis Red Shift. The Cardinal Flower is wonderful too.Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alison, primrose? In August? Wow! That's really neat. Your growing season is much different than ours, that's for sure. I love how you're flaunting flowers that for us are long gone or looking awful by now. The Stargazer is my favorite of the lilies. And to have a cardinal flower bloom like that, you really know what you're doing. I have successfully killed three of them. The dahlias are so pretty, too, I may just get hooked on them yet. Do you have to dig yours? (That's why I haven't gotten too attached, more work in the fall for poor ol' me.) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...primroses that still are in bloom. That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful blooms! I love the Lobelia but it is something that just won't grow here. I had a lovely pink Coreopsis too that just wouldn't grow here but the yellow ones thrive. That Dahlia 'Arabian Night' is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alison,
    You sure did have lots to flaunt! I kept seeing blooms I wanted to comment on, but I know I won't remember all of them. First, I am pleading for your white stoke's aster. Let her grow, she's pretty even if she doesn't fully open up.

    I love that dark colored dahlia! I planted a few panicums, but don't think I have your kind. They sure have grown a lot this summer, and are blooming at about a third the height they should get in the next couple of years.

    You asked me about what kinds of milkweed to plant. I just planted the purple milkweed last year, and they haven't gotten very big, but they sure have pretty blooms. Of course, I don't know if they reseed or not. I haven't had the swamp milkweeds spread. I deadheaded the common milkweed so the neighbors wouldn't be mad at me. Some people say the shorter, orange blooming butterfly milkweed does not attract the monarchs as well as the other kinds, but I had plenty of monarch caterpillars on mind this year. All milkweeds are one of the last plants to come up in the spring, but once up, they grow pretty fast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have enjoyed my visit today...good post!
    I wish I had more time to visit all of my favorites everytime you all post!
    Thank you so much for linking in and sharing your post with my party today! Have a wonderful day!!!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post...that Liatris is stunning! I'm so jealous of your Angelica...I've always wanted one, but can't figure out a spot to put it in! My Panicum 'Shenandoah' has been blooming for a few weeks, but still isn't super-red...oh well, it's still pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the fragrance of the Stargazer lilies. Cardinal lobelias are super. Hope I can find some next spring. What a pretty Coreopsis. that is a flower that keeps on going all summer long.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been thinking about you, as I recall you'd said September was the month of your 30th Wedding Anniversary and that you and Nigel would be doing a voyage to Alaska by way of celebration...lucky you! I've been wondering whether you've left already, or will be leaving shortly, since you hadn't given any dates. My guess is you're already on your way there, or on your way back?!

    Looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing plenty of pics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for a romp around your garden. Enjoyed it very much. I want to grow 'Redshift' next year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your garden looks great, Alison. You'd think something this exotic-looking would be difficult to grow. Your 'Arabian Night' looks fabulous. I order its seeds from online market.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Allison,
    I'm cleaning out my email box. I was saving the comments there until I commented back, but have decided I get too backed up. I know I've talked to you since the one where you reminded me my mystery plant is plume poppy. Yes, that's it.

    I hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.