Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Fertilizer Friday -- California Annuals, Native Wildflowers, Fuchsia

I skipped last Friday, so once again I have some catching up to do.


Clarkia elegans -- the last of my California annuals grown from seed to flower.
They are flowering in a variety of colors -- pink, purple and white




Gilia capitata, another California annual wildflower

Another native -- Castilleja/Indian Paintbrush -- that I planted last fall is flowering. I was worried it wouldn't thrive, but it seems to be doing ok.



Liatris, a native wildflower

This bee was apparently sound asleep on the Liatris

More of my Dahlias are flowering.








Fuchsia magellanica is just covered. It's a hummingbird favorite.




I have a few annual Fuchsias growing in pots on the back porch too. They remind me of dancing ballerinas.





Hydrangea 'Invincibelle Spirit'



 The Filipendula 'Hakome' that I bought last year about this time is flowering. I planted it amidst a couple of different dark-leaved plants.

Here it is contrasted with a dark-leaved Cimicifuga.



And against chocolate Joe-Pye weed.


My Echinaceas and Rudbeckias have finally started to flower.

'After Midnight'

'Pow Wow Wild Berry' -- a bit drought-stressed.

Burgundy Gaillardia -- but not exactly what I'd call burgundy

Rudbeckia 'Cherry Brandy' started from seed last year.

I've read complaints about the color on seed-grown plants not looking dark enough, but I'm quite happy with the color on this plant.






I'll definitely be saving seeds from them, I want lots more of these next year.


Well, I hope you enjoyed this look at the flowers in my garden. To see more from all around the world, check out Tootsie Time's Fertilizer Friday post.

12 comments:

  1. I just bought 'Cherry Brandy' the other day and love it. Good to know it can be started from seed. My fuchsias are looking similar to yours. I've also thought they looked like ballerinas too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flowers are very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, LOVE your Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your garden looks terrific. My coneflowers are in full flower and well as the brown eyed susan. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super blooms! I like your description of the pink fuchsia....little ballerinas. I tried Clarksia in Virginia and had no luck, yours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Clarkia Elegans - I'd never heard of them before. Your rudbeckias are beautiful too. You have some great blooms, Alison!
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous garden of blooms! So many that I love here!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! The fuchsia blooms do look like dancing ballerinas! Everything looks beautiful.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photographs are marvellous and your garden is flourishing under your loving care! I love your clarkia and fuchsias and your cherry brandy rudbeckias are so pretty! Oh, they are all gorgeous...those native wild flowers so, so beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alison your garden looks so beautiful. I love your Rudbeckia. Your fuchsia's are so big and lovely. Wonderful pictures. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful blooms. I just adored the Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia and the Clarkias. Your garden must be looking a picture.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.