Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Macros in a Mason Jar

I don't think I've ever entered something like this before -- Gardening Gone Wild's January 2011 Picture This Photo Contest. I read about it and thought I'd give it a shot.


I brought my Meyer Lemon tree indoors for the winter, and it is thriving in a south facing window. It is absolutely covered in blooms, and is perfuming the room where I use my laptop. Smells just wonderful.

Anyway, I thought I would use a couple of blossoms from the tree for the picture, which was actually taken at the bottom of a glass, not a mason jar, but I hope that's ok. I unwrapped some lemon drops (truthfully, they're lemon-flavored cough drops, a winter staple in our house), and then I mounded the rest of the unwrapped ones around the outside of the glass. I experimented with using a yellow cutting board to make the light more yellow, but didn't like the result. So I bounced some light into it using a white sheet of paper instead.

15 comments:

  1. Very nice Alison! I have to find a jar and figure out what to take a picture of....forgot the deadline. I like the yellow cough drops to bring the lemon color in...very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! That is so pretty and makes me long for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness - talk about creativity! I'm sure this beats all the rest in that category :)

    I think your photograph has turned out very well and love the way you have gone about composing it. WELL DONE! For your first effort, "not too shabby!"

    I can almost smell the perfume from the two flowers you've used - what a wonderful plan to put your tree indoors for the winter, right where you'll get the most benefit from the flowers!

    BTW I have no clue what a Mason jar is ;) your glass looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great and I can almost smell those blossoms. I was bad and forgot the lemon tree outside after that snow and freeze in November. I'm not sure it's alive anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous! Our Meyer lemon is in recovery from a rough summer. No blossoms for us this year. The photo is great - I love your inclusion of the ribs on the glass, and the yellow aura!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a really lovely photo. Good luck with your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shot--and the glass vs. mason jar seems to add a creative angle to the concept!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is sure pretty!



    I have always wanted to try this technique.



    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way the yellow of the lemon drops echo the pollen parts (can't remember the name, sleep deprived) of the lemon blossoms. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alison, Nice shot. I've enjoyed seeing the creativity of you creative folks. :) Maybe I'll even give it a go...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's very pretty! I've seen a few of those posts, and this is as great as any I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice photo. I think a bit more light would enhance the blooms, but I like the radiating lines of the glass - that's a neat effect.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.