Saturday, September 11, 2010

Camera Critters -- Band-Tailed Pigeons

This week I had a flock of maybe 10 or 15  band-tailed pigeons at the large feeder and hanging out in the stream. I had to take pictures very carefully from the window, because every time I moved even the slightest bit, they all flew off, only to return a few minutes later.

Band-tailed pigeons are a PNW native bird, and according to Wikipedia, have a call like an owl and are the largest pigeon in North America. I never heard the call while they were here. It's possible the ones I saw were migrating south.

These are the best of the many photos I took.






Check out Camera Critters to see lots more photos of all sorts of animals.

13 comments:

  1. They seem to be enjoying their bath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stream became a pigeon-pond, how wonderful, even if they are passing pigeons.

    Washington State is beautiful. I lived most of my life in British Columbia, which is very similar. I hope you'll be very happy here out west.

    Kay, now living in Alberta

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are pretty but we had so many flying in and eating all of the food from the little birds we started shooing them off. You got some really great pictures of them in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alison, Your photos are very interesting. I hear and see them occasionally in my neighborhood. I figured they belonged to someone but maybe not.

    Happy belated Blogiversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my dad used to raise exotic and even regular old pigeons as part of his exotic bird collection...I love the sound they make...they to many are just a nusiance...but I do love them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, your photos are beautiful. I love nature, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos! I wonder what other visitors will swing by your water feature this year?! We have not had any Band Tailed pigeons swing by...just the normal flock..that hang out on the power/tele lines by our street and poop on our cars..lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you love having animal visitors. I haven't seen any pigeons, but my yard has become quite popular with finches (and maybe chickadees). We keep the feeders stocked and hope to get more visitors throughout the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute...you must have been very patient!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.