Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Wednesday Vignette

Eight years ago when we first moved here, someone gave me a handful of different Pacific Coast Iris. The pots originally had names, but those tags have been lost to the mists of time. The only name I remember is 'Broadleigh Rose.' Googling brings up pictures and descriptions that make me think the PCI that I'm sharing a picture of today is 'Broadleigh Rose.'

They flower at this time of year, but the best time to divide and replant them is in the middle of winter, when they're dormant. Even though dormant, you still have to be careful not to let the roots dry out. It's important to either get them back in the ground immediately (as in the same day you dig them), or into soil in a pot.

I've divided and replanted that original handful that I was given many times over. They bulk up in my garden very quickly, and so far have taken well to every bed I've planted them into. I've had great luck with them.

Pacific Coast Iris 'Broadleigh Rose' resting her pretty head on top of the broken concrete wall

Anna at Flutter and Hum hosts Wednesday Vignette. You can check out her current post here.

17 comments:

  1. I have one of yours blooming right now ! I hope it will survive …I moved it the other day :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a beauty! There are so many beautiful PCI and I'm glad they thrive for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've avoided these thinking you needed skill to experience success with them. However the one Riz gave me seems to be happy so maybe I need to take the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That 'Broadleigh Rose'Iris is a stunning beauty. Here I have one early bloomer and the others are just forming buds. Looking forward to their flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been a lucky recipient of your abundant PCI's. I love them. LOVE them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to start collecting PCI's! She's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A stunning and unusual iris!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I got some from you at the very first blogger swap I attended. I planted them under my Edgeworthia, which has since smothered everything in its path. I haven't seen them since... :( But, they are so lovely, I think I must try again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, lucky you! I love PCI's but we have not had good luck with them. We just talked about rounding up all the scraggly plants we have and relocating them to the sunniest spot we have to give them a try there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the color! I wish I had your success with Pacific Coast Iris. I got a few blooms from one plant this year but that was shortly after I purchased it so I can take no credit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful flower. We have a couple of the Pacific coast Iris and they seem to like our heavy wet clay, I'm glad something does! Broadleigh Gardens and Nursery where your plant started out originally isn't far from here, they have produced some stunning hybrids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are really beautiful markings and how lucky are those people with whom you have shared. All my iris have come from passalongs too. It's hard to find someone to pass them along to now. I share your naming problem, 15 years ago someone gave me a bunch of day lilies with a list. The only one I can remember is 'tiny pumpkin' I don't really care to much though as there are just hundreds of different kinds. A name doesn't really mean a whole lot. Now the genus and species name is an entirely different matter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! And thank you for the two I adopted at the swap!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.