Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

My Brilliant Solution

I came up with a totally brilliant solution for what to do about the worrisome intersection between grass and gravel in my new front garden, and how to keep the lawn mower and string trimmer from picking up gravel and throwing it at either our front windows or the new greenhouse. Well, I think it's a totally brilliant solution.

Crazy might describe it too. But just a little bit crazy.

I needed to put something between the grass circle and the gravel walkway. We had extra compost, and nowhere to put it. What would be better than more beds? There are now two beds in the front that circle the grass area, in a spiral shape. In fact, we've now made the grass area smaller. So I've reduced my grass without ever having planted it to begin with.

But in order to reach the grass, there needed to be paths through the beds, so the new plan includes two short breaks that will have stepping stones in them.

One path is here just to the left of the culvert.
That break on the left is also necessary for drainage. Otherwise, in our rainy season, that circle where the grass is going would tend to become a pond.

More beds for planting. Less grass. I have a feeling that Chris the contractor and his assistant both probably think I'm a bit of a nut. Or maybe all of a nut.

But you don't, right? C'mon, I dare you to call me crazy.




19 comments:

  1. Your smart! Happy planting. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a brilliant solution. You'll have fun shopping for all the new plants you'll need. The new beds will look crazy cool when done and if that's nuts then count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great idea, Alison...I wondered about the gravel...it's going to migrate into the grass...and vice versa. I'm wondering about the grass circle...are you doing plain turf...what about a sedge lawn...then you'd only have to mow once a year (if that) :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I've reduced my grass without ever having planted it to begin with"...I don't think any of us are going to call you nuts! Regarding Scott's suggestion remember the great alt-lawn at the Dudan garden during the Fling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I was thinking about, Danger...I just couldn't summon the name...thank you!!!

      Delete
  5. Crazy only in the sense of you having a 'crazy good' idea Alison! So exciting to see the progress of your project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Throw out a dare like that...You're crazy and that's why I love you. I was actually thinking that there was too much grass in your plan but didn't want to say anything negative. I'm thrilled that you'll have more bed space as that means more plant shopping opportuniites. Can't wait to hit the nurseries with you again once this holiday thing is over. Truth be told, I've gotten a few nursery fixes in even in the cold. Happy planning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant solution and more space for plants!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's all looking really good, Alison. I can hardly wait until it all gets planted. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's fun to ride along with you on this landscaping journey! I vote for less grass and more less grass!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see the finished product. I'm sure it will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seems to me you were trying to reduce the amount of lawn, and create more planing beds. Now you have! Not crazy, just part of your plan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where did I see photos of ground cover between something and a lawn? Great idea.

    Of course I'd have something tall that needed planting and just stick it in there but I know you plan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! Always a good idea to add more beds. Can't wait to see them filled with flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to see the area planted - it's going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.