Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Friday, December 20, 2013

I Have No Mouth...

...And I Must Scream



Any science fiction readers out there in Blogland? "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" is the title of a science fiction short story by Harlan Ellison, set in a post-apocalyptic world run by an artificially intelligent supercomputer. He would no doubt be dismayed to find that I've appropriated his title for a post about snow on my sweet little gardening blog.

If you follow my blog or know me on Facebook, you know I don't like snow. It makes driving dangerous (ok, the other drivers out there have to take some responsibility for the danger too), and driving is one of the few things I have to do every weekday. So wanting to scream over it, but being unable to, kind of sums up my reaction.

It does make for some pretty pictures out in the garden.

I was undecided about wanting to go out and take photos, but I saw these bird tracks through a window, and out I went.


I startled a cat who was hiding nearby, waiting for dinner to fly past
Off he went, over the fence


A closer look at the top of the fence reveals just how many kitties have visited since it started snowing

Snow on a Hydrangea

Snow on a sword fern

Snow on Agastache 'Golden Jubilee"



This Mahonia x media 'Charity' will be pretty once those flowers open further

Schefflera (delavayi, I think) seems to have survived our week of Arctic temps, so I think maybe the snow won't phase it


Behind the waterfall

'Blonde Ambition' grama grass

Snow on Mexican feather grass
Snow on Agave ovatifolia

Snow on Tetrapanax (and a good view of the indumentum)






The folly was set into the ground with concrete a few days ago. Now it looks like a weird jungle gym/climbing frame, or a cage for an invisible animal. I should hang a stuffed monkey on it.


Snow caught in the curve of a pin oak leaf



It's supposed to turn to rain later today, and all get washed away. I can only hope.