Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Happy Winter Solstice!

Happy Winter Solstice!

And I do mean HAPPY!



I truly cannot remember a previous year when I was so happy to celebrate the winter solstice. While technically it is the first day of winter, it is also the day of the year when the Earth in the Northern Hemisphere experiences the fewest hours of daylight, and hereafter begins the long, slow climb toward spring and summer. From now on, the days start to lengthen.


Picture me at my computer, dancing like Snoopy anticipating supper, at the prospect of those lengthening days. It's been a dark December with record-breaking cold temperatures, and I've been challenged to find joy, despite it being the so-called holiday season. I have suffered from intermittent depression all my life, but I don't think I've ever had what they call Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), which is related to the number of hours and quality of daylight perceived by the brain.

I don't think SAD is my problem this year either. It's just hard to force false jollity.



But there's no false jollity today. Today the jollity is real. From now on, more daylight.

Jolly, Happy Winter Solstice!