Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Day at the Farmer's Market

On Saturday morning Nigel and I went to the Farmer's Market in Puyallup. We've been there before, and I've posted about it here. Like before, we got freshly cooked mini-donuts, and an assortment of wonderful local organic produce -- Washington cherries, corn on the cob, peaches, carrots, eggplant, and one beefsteak tomato. This time we also bought some freshly made pork sausage and a lovely looking pork sirloin steak, for our supper.

But first we wandered around the booths checking out who was selling what.

There are always plenty of musicians, some talented, some not so talented, playing for the crowds.



This place does delicious ribs and Korean Napa cabbage wrapped tacos. I got the tacos, and it made a yummy lunch.

This adorable doggie won my heart. She was tied to a leash, and when I called for her attention, she came over immediately. I put my hand down so she could sniff it, but she didn't even bother, just rolled immediately onto her back and presented her tum for rubbing. Such a trusting animal!

I took a couple of pictures of things I had never noticed before in Pioneer Park, where the market takes place.

This cool leafy shelter was a great refuge from the crowds.



Yet another violinist

Don't these berries look yummy? I'd have bought some if I hadn't bought a bunch the day before.

There are always plenty of flower vendors there.






There are always plenty of craft vendors too.


I loved these sweet but simple birdhouses.




They're the work of K/C Woodworks 253-847-3089

If I didn't already have a potting bench that I love, I would have been tempted to buy this.

The potting bench is by Steve at Rustic Creations Garden Decor 253-222-8571

The morning had started out very foggy and overcast, but by the time we left, the sun was starting to come out and the day was warming up.




12 comments:

  1. I'm heading off for my local farmers market this morning, with doggies in tow. Last time I was there I came back with beets, beans and Begonia luxuriens !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the Puyallup Farmers market. I'll have to make sure I get there this summer, but it might have to wait until august. I need to slow this summer down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those berries look out-of-this-world divine! Our own local farmers market isn't quite so charming. No dogs allowed, no musicians, talented or otherwise. I enjoyed the virtual visit to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lovely farmers' market. Fresh berries are my favorite thing to buy at these markets, especially strawberries and blueberries. Our farmer's market is next to a senior citizens' highrise full of Russian emigres, which gives the event a certain old world feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm too busy fighting weeds and mulching vegetable beds and picking berries and plums to go to farmer's markets, so I enjoyed seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! those berries look luscious! Love that you have musicians and those flowers are a feast for the eyes. Looks like a good time is had by all who visit the market

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful market!
    Thanks for taking us with you.
    My favorite photo is the violinists in the brickwork - so unusual!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alison - looks like a wonderful market! Music, food and beauty - what else could one possibly need in a day? The bird houses are great - would love a few of those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Affordable bird houses!?! How wonderful and rare.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun. I love our Farmers' Markets too. It always feels good to buy local produce.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't been this year yet but this is one of my favorite markets. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I would be there every week...organic produce is not the norm at our farmer's market which is so sad...those berries are calling me.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.