Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Monday, July 29, 2013

The One That Got Away

This is what a garlic scape looks like when it starts to flower.


It looks kind of like Pinocchio.

Or a really Seussian Santa hat.


I missed it a few weeks ago when I was harvesting garlic scapes for cooking. Do you cook with garlic scapes? I chop them fine and mix them in with stir-fry veggies, which I often eat in the morning with two poached eggs. Yummy!

I also make garlic scape pesto. I just used up my last garlic scapes to make one final batch. I measure the pesto out into ice cube trays and then freeze them, and put the cubes in a plastic bag in the freezer. And then I throw one into the frying pan with the morning veggies.

When I saw the scape starting to open, I realized it was probably time to harvest the actual bulbs of garlic, at least those two rows on the left. The leaves were starting to turn brown and a bit crispy.


I love fresh garlic from the garden. I didn't know garlic could be juicy, till I grew my own.

12 comments:

  1. I love cooking with garlic scapes but usually try to leave them in biggish pieces because I think they are so beautiful. Also along those lines the last bunch I bought (at the farmers market) I split and half of them went into a vase. Their squiggly lines are so fabulous and they move throughout the day too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a garlic spear frittata with parsley and parmesan. One of those treats reserved for summer! So good! I like your pesto/ice cube tray idea a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been missing out as I've never cooked with garlic scapes. Time to check the farmer's market this week - if they're not all bloomed out down here by now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried garlic scapes in a pesto before...it sounds fantastic! I too, love to freeze summer goodies in my ice cube trays. What is your favorite kind of garlic to grow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't each much garlic. Mainly it's because I don't cook all that much. But if I did, I'd grow lots of garlic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know about garlic scapes until I found them three years ago at Tacoma Boys. Yum! What a nice seasonal treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do they compare in flavor to garlic chive blossoms? Are they milder? I've never had them but now I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dream of growing garlic. Got to make space for these in my little veggie plot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to try growing garlic, I certainly use enough of it. I have garlice chives and shallots growing in the garden now so they should do well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just pulled the last of the garlic about 20 heads today...I pulled another 40 or more in 2 other batches...love the scapes and the garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How great! I've wanted to grow garlic for years but have never gotten around to it. I really need to get my act in gear and do it. Those garlic scapes in stir fry veggies sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.