Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Saturday Visit to the Puyallup Farmer's Market

We spent a couple of hours at the farmer's market in Puyallup today, and since I've never posted about it before, I brought along the camera and took some pictures, so that I could put up a blog post.


This is actually a fairly large market, the largest in Pierce county, I believe, which takes place every Saturday and Sunday from 9 to 2 at Pioneer Park in Puyallup, WA.

Since it's still early in the growing season, many of the vegetable vendors have slim pickings -- onions, garlic, salad greens, asparagus, a few snow peas. But what they have is beautiful and fresh. And local. Many are organic.


There were also lots of cut flower vendors, as well as small nurseries with growing plants in clever containers.





There are always plenty of produce vendors (and way too many craft-sellers), but I wish there was a wider selection of local meat, fish and chicken vendors. There are only two fish vendors, one beef vendor, one cheese vendor and one booth selling fresh eggs. No fresh chicken, lamb or other meats. Plenty of baked goods and sweets.

There's a bandstand in the middle of Pioneer Park with the day's entertainment, usually playing country-ish music.

There are only a handful of craft vendors that interest me. I love these blown glass ornaments.


 
 Love this nest, but not out in my garden

Last year I bought a cast leaf from this vendor.


Love the simplicity of this birdhouse...

...and the juxtaposition of simple and ornate in this chair

This birdbath flower with frogs dancing on sticks around it made me smile

Also this kitty silhouette with a fish inside it

There are no pictures of the booth selling mass market signs with clever sayings on them like "Come to the Dark Side, We Have Cookies," "I'm just a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll World," and "Don't Make Me Get My Flying Monkeys." As I raised my camera to take a picture, a stern voice admonished me "No Pictures Please!" I guess they didn't want free publicity. Interestingly there was not a word from any of the vendors shown above, selling handmade items.

And my favorite food vendor is this guilty pleasure: mini donuts cooked fresh.
Nigel wants one of these for our home. Actually, I do too!

Hot, fresh pillows of yumminess!

Can I get a refill please?

13 comments:

  1. What a fun day. I love those fresh flowers in the first photo, not to mention those yummy doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison,
    What a nice tour! never seen such huge asparagus, loved all the art stuff. The big leaves water fountain is something I'd like to make for our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great market! We went and picked strawberries in the Puyallup valley years and years ago. What a nice array of flowers at the market. In your travels have you ever come across a pottery vendor that sells 'Shapes of Clay' by Stan? Reminded us of the Flintstones but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a really great Farmer's Market. They really are a lot of fun. The flowers are really pretty and the doughnuts look delicious! We have one very tiny Farmer's Market here and can you believe they were selling tomato plants for $9!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alison, what a great looking weekend market! Glad you thought to bring your camera :) Makes me miss Portland and having all of those nice vendors at hand. The blown glass art was beautiful and the donuts looked pretty darn good! Glad you had nice weather to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely place to spend time and bring back home many treasures. I would like to have that doughnuts with my warm tea now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely market, Alison! I would have been drawn to those beautiful fresh bouquets and the smell of fresh donuts :) The fresh produce looked super even if limited to only a few types and I enjoyed strolling past the different craft outlets with you. I love those cast leaves!
    What is the origin of the name Puyallup? How does one even pronounce it and what does it mean?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like an awesome market! I love those blown glass decorations, and that bird bath is cool.

    Thank you for your nice comment on my post about the garden tour. I'm going on another one Sunday, where the folks garden with wildlife in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, thank you for taking us along to the market. I love to go to them, but just don't have the time lately. I love the leaf fountain too, very pretty and all the birdhouses and neat things. Some of them probably didn't want pictures taken in case their work would be copied I bet. I've gone on a few garden tours like that, too. But once you've seen a thing, it's hard to forget, they can't erase my memory bank, lol.

    Oh, if I had one of those donut maker thingies, then I'd really have issues with my MD. But how delicious they looked. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That FM looks fabulous--what wonderful offerings!
    I'll have to get there and check it out before my next trip (yes, still back and forth). Thanks for leaving the punny comment for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They let you take photos? Wow, I am always shy to ask, and they would practically bite me if I did.

    Lovely FM, sounds like great fun.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a great market. I love those cast leaves and the metal art. Too bad I won't be able to swing by there during the Fling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this lovely tour of the Farmer's Market! You took such wonderful pictures I felt like I was there.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.