Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Wednesday Vignette -- Hold onto your ash, it's snowing!

It wasn't really snowing, but it sure looked like it yesterday. The ash from the wildfires was so heavy, it was actually swirling in the air like snow, and settling on the plants in the garden. It was way too hot for snow, though, with temperatures in the 90s.

It made for a few moments of cognitive dissonance.

My Wednesday Vignette this morning is actually a series of vignettes -- of leaves in my garden sprinkled with ash.

Monstera deliciosa

Tuberous Begonia

Tetrapanax 'Steroidal Giant'

Catalpa bignoniodes 'Aurea'

Hydrangea quercifolia

Geranium phaeum 'Samobor'

Even though I gave my post today a humorous title, this has been a disturbing summer -- so much hotter than normal and smoky from so many wildfires. Not near enough to threaten my life or home, but close enough to fill the air off and on for days and sometimes weeks, aggravating my asthma. There has been a wildfire ongoing for a few weeks now on Norse Peak, which is only about 50 miles from me according to the roads on Google Maps. They've evacuated Crystal Mountain resort, which is west of that, but the north flank of Mt. Rainier is between us and that fire, so I'm not too worried. I still don't think I have it as bad as my friends down in Portland, who are dealing with even more ash, not to mention fires raging in the Columbia Gorge that are much closer to home, and that might, by the time this post is published, have engulfed the historic Multnomah Falls Lodge. See this link.

The entire West Coast of North America has been plagued by wildfires all summer, from California, through Oregon to Washington and on into British Columbia. See a U.S. Wildfire Activity Public Information Map here.

Wildfires don't just destroy homes and wildlife habitat, they also release carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, into the atmosphere, while destroying huge swathes of the very plants -- trees -- that are ideally suited to clearing the carbon dioxide.

The phrase "Save the Planet" of course is a misnomer.  The planet doesn't need saving. Earth will continue for a long time, perhaps as a twin to the toxic planet Venus. Once that happens, the planet will finally succeed at ridding itself of its most destructive parasite.

Us.

Anna at Flutter & Hum hosts Wednesday Vignette. Check out her post here.

8 comments:

  1. There will be equilibrium on the planet which may, indeed, extinguish humans and a lot of other life forms. Interesting shots of ash on your leaves. We had it here too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps our species will evolve into something better, as the Bonobos branched off from Chimpanzees and became much more peaceable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I LOVE the Bonobos - they are such lovely and fascinating creatures. They definitely put us humans to shame!

      Delete
    2. Or perhaps humans will go extinct and bonobos will evolve into the next technologically-advanced species on the planet, a much more peaceful one that ours.

      Delete
  3. The earth was here before US and will be here after our demise. It is the process of that demise that has me worried.
    Growing up in Oregon, I am accustomed to the wildfire season. My dad was a logger, and when the woods were too dry to log due to fire danger, he worked fighting forest fires. We had smokey days with a red sun in the valley. Now, of course, people build houses out in what was once wilderness, so the hazard is greater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you're having such trouble with wildfires up that way. It seems they've become a regular part of our summer - and fall - season down here, accounting in part for why I'm coming to hate the annual 4th of July firework displays, which stretch over more than 2 months here in the hands of careless jerks and in violation of local ordinances. Fires caused by lightning strikes are bad enough - we don't need man-made ones. We're about 50 miles west of LA's La Tuna Fire, which burned over 7000 acres, but, for once, the ash didn't blow in our direction. Breathing in ash is NOT good. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our house, street, cars, and gardens are all covered in ash, too. I agree that we are a scourge to the world. I secretly hope for some lethal virus that would target greedy, stupid, apathetic and indifferent people, and spare the gentle, kind, and innovative thinkers. I think that would go a long way in cleaning up our world. A girl can dream... right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This summer has been hard on those of us with asthma, to say nothing of the people more directly affected by the fires. I have about the same amount of ash as you do. The photos from people in Portland are much worse. It's so depressing.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.