Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Wednesday Vignette

I have a lot of self-sowers in my garden, both annual and perennial. I don't actually recall planting this deceptively delicate-looking plant, Corydalis lutea, although I might have. I do remember planting a few other types of Corydalis, with blue or purple flowers, but they didn't return after a harsh winter. This one pops up all over, though not aggressively, often growing right in gravel. It seems to be drought-tolerant, so I've decided to harness it and spread its babies around. It's also called Fumewort or Yellow Fumitory.

Yellow flower, blue pot -- what could be better?
Anna at Flutter & Hum hosts Wednesday Vignette. Check out her post and her weekly ruminations here.

7 comments:

  1. That's a perfect color combination. (Some people put plants inside pots:) In answer to your question, yes, it could be better if it were also sunny and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very pretty. I couldn't get the blue and purple Corydalis to survive either - maybe I'll have to try the yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue and yellow, yummy. I try to limit self-seeders, which was easy during the drought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That corydalis is unstoppable. It spreads easily but is easy to pull out and edit. The fancy ones have no staying power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a white Corydalis growing in the gravel at Joy Creek. It's been blooming since I started there in March, and just keeps on going. It makes a stunning contrast with its neighboring Agave neo-mexicanas. It is such a strange contrast, because it doesn't LOOK like it should be drought tolerant, but it sure seems to be. And pretty much can't be beat a far as longevity goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. often the ones you don't plan - and plant - look best, because they look so natural. Gorgeous plant, I wonder if it would do OK here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Corydalis lutea is the perfect self seeder. It's not aggressive and pops up in just the right places. Love the combination of blue and yellow!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.