Thursday, December 8, 2016

More Frost, Hoar Frost

Although technically none of my photos here are of hoar frost, which is thicker and "hairier" than this, the temptation to use the title of my post to make allusion to one of my favorite lines from the movie "Young Frankenstein" was too good to ignore.



For the last few days we've been in the grip of a cold snap, with our temperatures going down below freezing overnight and rising above during the day, resulting in a lovely rime of frost everywhere in the morning. One of the quirks of PNW weather is that when our temperatures plummet in winter, the rain stops and the sun comes out. I ran out on Wednesday morning with my camera to get some pictures before the sun completely melted the frost away, while it was still sparkling like stars. The sparkle was hard to capture, but I tried.


Golden morning sunshine

Tetrapanax leaf rimed with frost and speared through and through by Chaemerops humilis


Agave havardiana




Arctostaphylos

Arctostaphylos shining in spots almost like it's flecked with minerals

Verbascum seedpods

Cacophonous mess of Achillea and Verbasum foliage

The curled-up needles of Abies koreana 'Silberlocke' already look like they are frosted on the underside

Erysimum

Cardoon

Euphorbia

Phlomis

Frost on moss

I've seen deer in our neighborhood lately, but so far haven't seen them in my own garden. But there's evidence they've been around, in the form of cloven footprints embedded in the frozen soil, and at least one Itoh peony that looks like it's being chewed on. Do deer eat peonies? I thought they were poisonous.
Where deer? Here deer. Oh dear.

The cold snap is slated to end today with a doom and gloom forecast of a dreadful snowstorm. Are you wondering how much snow they're saying we'll get?

Two to four.

Inches.

Yes, inches. I can hear you laughing.


I hope we survive. I'll probably be making Christmas cookies.

14 comments:

  1. Your frost shots are very pretty! What's all this talk about whore frost? Love the cartoon! Happy baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed the laugh today, Alison! Love the sparkle in the garden, so many wonderful photos you've captured again. Great movie and the cartoon is oh-so-true, even here in WI, where a lack of snow is bizarre, the forecasters become silly ninnies predicting doom, too. 'Here comes a flake now... let's ask it a question'. HA HA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice frost photos! As to the deer, they will sample anything that's new, whether the plant is new or the deer are. I think I remember them nibbling on one of my tree peonies, but they left them alone for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pictures of your frosty garden and plants Alison. I like that Frankenstein movie and where are these forecasters talking about.....just 2 to 4 inches of snow.... In our country they do the same, predicting stormy weather recommending to stay inside and not going out on the road.....They play completely safe, too much I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got the sparkle! Beautiful photos. So they're not predicting freezing rain and ice up your way? Lucky! That's what I'm most worried about. The snow is one thing, the ice is just evil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tee hee! We do panic here in the NW, it's a bit silly. BUT your photos aren't, they are stunning as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bonus points for using 'cacophonous'- my favorite image of many of your sparklies is the phlomis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our humidity was so low here that we didn't get that frosty coating on everything. Your photos reflect the beauty you found. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job at capturing the frost on camera, Alison! I'm glad to hear that you get a little sunshine with your frost. I laughed at the snowflake interview cartoon - our forecasters hype rain the same way, on the infrequent occasions in which we get some.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photographs! We just got a couple of inches last night with a couple more coming tonight. Time to get out the snow shovel. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing such beautiful photos. You have to love a frost.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful, Allison. And that's why seedpods are left for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your photos are wonderful--the frost looks quite magical.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.